A&E: “The problem is sometimes that horror can bleed into reality”

Many question the attraction to disturbing characters in horror films
Rebecca LaBarge

Ghostface, Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger are just some of the many iconic horror movie characters designed to give audiences a fright. While some see these characters as scary or disturbing, others disagree, seeing them as attractive or alluring. The obsession with fictional characters has taken trend as well as the hearts of many, including students and staff at SCHS.

Some, such as senior Kai Johnson, find killer confidence to be appealing. For example, according to Johnson, Billy from the Halloween thriller “Scream,” has attractive physical features and enticing characteristics.

“His personality, how he really just goes through the whole movie nonchalant and just acting and just really concealing himself that he was the killer,” Johnson said. “He really acts like everything is going to be fine and everything is going to be okay.”

For junior Atelaite Vehikite, the effects of social media change her perception of popular horror characters. She finds that fans sometimes paint characters in a more attractive light in edited videos or posts.

“I don’t think I would find them attractive in the movie, but with the effects of the video and the music of the video, yes, I’d find it (horror characters) attractive,” Vehikite said.

Vehikite also believes there is a difference between finding a character and an actor attractive as they are two different people who should be distinguished differently.

“Some people are good with separating the character and the actor,” Vehikite said. “Usually with people with masks. Some people have obsessions with masks, so I would say I feel like most of the time people find the character attractive.”

There are multiple factors that play into whether one finds a character attractive. English teacher Theresa Shaw-Iyer believes the villainous traits of some characters are the main rationale most have for unorthodox attractions.

“I think for some people it’s that sense of danger can be attractive and appealing to some people,” Shaw-Iyer said. “I think a lot of horror characters have this sense of power in some ways. I think a lot of people are attracted to power.”

Agreeing with Shaw-Iyer, Johnson believes many horror characters have powerful roles in their films and people have a tendency to find that appealing.

“When it comes to horror movies, most of the killers are seen at the top like apex predators and dominant,” Johnson said. “A lot of people like people who are of that high personality.”

Shaw-Iyer has no issues with finding horror characters attractive, but it can lead to a bigger issue if the obsession becomes out of control. She believes finding fictional characters appealing is okay. When it comes to real people, however, it is a negative thing.

“I think the problem is sometimes that horror can bleed into reality,” Shaw-Iyer said. “When ideas of attraction come into play with real horror people, then that’s problematic.”

According to Vehikite, the obsession with horror characters is a negative mindset that should be carefully thought through. If one is not cautious with their character crushes, it can affect their real lives.

“It can lead to you normalizing and romanticizing trauma and abuse,” Vehikite said.