A&E: Students face their fears at local haunted houses

Amelia Tai
Many students enjoy exploring local haunted attractions in the weeks leading up to Halloween with friends and family.

As the arrival of October brings spooks and scares, many seek out horror attractions like haunted houses or amusement parks. SCHS students share their mixed experiences with Halloween activities at local amusement parks, such as Great America’s newly implemented Trick and Treats, as well as other spooky attractions.

Most students agree that Great America’s latest replacement of the once iconic Halloween Haunt is underwhelming. Having been introduced last year, Tricks and Treats is Great America’s attempt to introduce a family friendly Halloween attraction.

Sophomore Sarah Plodek felt disappointed with the current state of the amusement park.

“I definitely don’t go as often as I used to because I hate Great America. It has gone downhill a little bit, so I stopped going,” Plodek said. “It’s just kind of dirty, and I feel like it’s a lot more little-kid oriented.”

Plodek is not the only student to share strong emotions regarding the change. Sophomore Celia Gorokhovsky felt saddened when she discovered the park had undergone a major change.

“I was so mad about that. I actually went last weekend. I was looking for the Haunt, (thinking) they couldn’t (have) gotten rid of all of it,” Gorokhovsky said. “It’s very childish now.”

With the once beloved Halloween Haunt gone, many remember their past experiences fondly. Senior Ethan Louie reminisced on good times spent with friends when going through one of the many haunted mazes of the Halloween Haunt.

“I remember having fun through the mazes. The Mirror Maze was really good. I like that one a lot. That was fun,” Louie said.

Many students enjoy haunted houses even when they are scary. For Louie, the experience is more about doing something seasonal.

“The decorations and getting into the Halloween spirit, doing something that you wouldn’t be able to do at other times of the year, getting scared, having scary stuff being there, that’s fun.” Louie said.

For other students, such as sophomore Bruce Gibson, the ambiance plays a major role in his enjoyment of the haunted houses.

“I would say decorations and acting really puts it on there. Just how scary and stuff,” Gibson said. “But it’s also really cool to see spooky scenery.”

Senior Milo Amaya, in turn, prefers to live life to the extreme, seeking the thrills and excitements of fright. Amaya finds the rush of adrenaline that occurs while going through haunted houses feels addicting, leaving him wanting more.

“Of course, the most adrenaline I’ve ever felt shot straight into my face, like a rush of electricity throughout your brain, temple and nose,” Amaya said. “It allows me to be myself, my true scary, terrified self.”