SPORTS: New coaches change the game at SCHS

Football head coach Nelson Gifford gives advice and guidance to junior Matthew Paulino as the team gears up for the next part of their practice.
Asia Celestine

SCHS has welcomed a new football coaching staff with the goal of continuing a successful football program, all while bringing in fresh ideas and activities to the table. These coaches have set a goal for the team they believe will bring them success.

Athletic Director, AVID teacher, and new head varsity football coach Nelson Gifford is excited to see the players having a strong desire to play and improve. He believes when the students are engaged in the sport, there is a lot that can be accomplished.

“They’re (athletes) clearly hungry for instruction. They want to be coached, they want to get better, they want to compete, and you can do a lot with that,” Gifford said. “You can do a lot when kids are invested, and that has been really exciting.”

Along with investment in the sport, Gifford believes his coaching style will inspire others to work hard on the field. Gifford said he needs to be someone the team looks up to.

“My style is to be focused, to be very clear on my expectations, and to bring energy,” Gifford said. “I believe I need to set an example for the intensity that needs to be brought to practice.”

Similar to Gifford, new JV head football coach D’Andre Wright believes preparing the team for the season is the priority.

“My focus is to improve each player’s skill set. In the beginning, it is about teaching the proper techniques and skills,” Wright said. “As the season progresses, it is about preparing them for the next level.”

Freshman Edwin Rodriguez is new to tackle football, but he has a certain expectation when it comes to coaching.

“I like to be coached when the coaches can see what you’re doing wrong, how they can help you improve and how they can teach you and lead you the right way,” Rodriguez said.

Coaches have different definitions of discipline. For Gifford, he does not believe discipline is a form of punishment but an opportunity to learn and grow.

“Discipline for me is not synonymous with punishment. Discipline for me is doing the right thing when the right thing needs to be done, how it needs to be done,” Gifford said. “To get that discipline, it’s about teaching, instruction, practice, coaching, refining. That’s how you build discipline is through the training of it.”

Similar to Gifford, Wright sets standards demonstrated by the players. He said he does not shy away from the focus of academics and voices a firm expectancy needed to perform well in school, football and life.

“I made it clear that their (athletes) school and educational needs are to be taken care of before football,” Wright said. “Other expectations are ones such as communication and being responsible for their actions.”

Rodriguez believes that serious coaches who speak up are beneficial coaching qualities.

“Seeing how the coaches act on how your actions were during the game and seeing what they can do right for the player, and how they can improve the player’s perspective of the game is what makes a good coach,” Rodriguez said.

Coaches have a set goal for their players and team. Agreeing with Rodriguez, Wright’s main intention as a coach is to inspire and support the players as best he can. He wants to provide each athlete with as many accomplishments and memories created outside of football as created in football.

“My main goal as a coach is to hopefully make an impact on the athletes and to help create those memories and bonds that they will carry on as well as to help guide them towards the path for success in their futures both on and off the field” Wright said.

Like Wright, Gifford wants every athlete to play at their competitive best. He and the other coaches strive to set goals, both personal and for the whole team. Gifford thinks what he and the coaches are attempting to teach will improve athletes’ skills and teach them as players everything they need to know.

“That’s what we’re constantly doing is trying to make sure that everything we teach is applicable for the kids and that the kids understand their role in applying those skills,” Gifford said.