SPORTS: Relationships within sports teams is the key to success

Amelia Tai
The baseball team has formed close relatioships with each other, allowing them to push each other to become better athletes

Friendships built between athletes within SCHS sports teams can be some of the strongest relationships. Many sports require strong networks of teamwork between players to create a solid team.

Team friendships can be beneficial to both the team and individual athletes when it comes to encouragement. Wrestler senior Santiago Vallejo shared that being surrounded by supportive friends helps him to be the best athlete he can be.

“I know when I’m wrestling, I don’t want to lose in front of my team and the people who came out to watch, so it’s like a backhanded motivation. Sometimes the pressure helps me wrestle better,” Vallejo said.

Vallejo’s friendships have also helped him grow as a competitor. While wrestling, Vallejo’s skills have improved by learning different styles and moves from other players.

“Even if they’re someone in the heavyweight class or the lower weight class, everyone learns something and benefits from each other on how to wrestle,” Vallejo said.

Similar to Vallejo, track and field runner senior Noah Barlahan noted that having several supporting teammates inspires him to be a faster runner.

“When you’re running, you hear a bunch of people cheering your name and your friends trying to get you to push yourself. It really drives you to go further and go that extra step,” Barlahan said.

Additionally, being able to work well with one’s teammates can be beneficial to team performance. Cheerleader junior Kassidy Toralba noticed that being friends with her team has made cheerleading easier. Friendships make the team stronger and cooperate better, which leads to a less stressful environment.

“When we’re put into stunt groups with people that we’re close with, we work better together because we feel more connected, less pressured and less nervous,” Toralba said. “When we’re more comfortable with the people we’re surrounded by, we have a better work ethic.”

Friendships in sports, however, can also be a challenge. Baseball player junior Drew Diffenderfer pointed out that it can be hard playing against people you are friends with. Having personal connections with other players can be difficult when it comes to games.

“You can go too hard or too soft because you know the other person, but I always try to think that the player is nameless and faceless when I’m in the game,” Diffenderfer said.

For some, team sports gives players the opportunities to build connections with other players and improve their own technique on and off the field.

“When you are closer to the team, you want each other to win and to see each other succeed more,” Diffenderfer said.