CAMPUS: Encouraging feedback brings positivity to the SCHS campus

Kai Vader

From teachers boosting students up or classmates showing positivity, encouragement can be found throughout campus, even if it is someone giving tough love, or gently nudging another in the right direction.

Both SCHS students and staff practice encouragement through different methods in order to push others in a positive direction, or help them attain their goals.

Music director Johnny Erdman discussed when it is appropriate to help someone by cheering them on rather than using honesty to prove a point. Erdman believes giving constructive feedback can be difficult but advised that one can do it without being cruel.

“Sometimes it’s giving them information that maybe they don’t yet understand, something to help (them) be successful. Sometimes it’s tough love,” Erdman said. “Sometimes it’s telling someone to go do something that maybe they don’t want to do, but it’s going to help them.”

Social science teacher Pilar Svendsen tries to foster more positive connections with students by encouraging them to communicate with her. She noted how the offer may help students feel seen on campus, knowing there is a support system for them.

“I think that it is very validating and is very encouraging in a way that allows people to feel valued, respected and connected,” Svendsen said. “Building up your mental health is… part of that is knowing that you have people that support you, care about you and want the best for you.”

Sophomore Fatimah Solaiman tries to implement a growth mindset by reframing her thoughts. Rather than dwelling on something that occurred in the past, she recommended being more positive about the future.

“For example, if I’m failing a class and I’m feeling really bad about myself, then I should work on trying to improve myself rather than saying, ‘Oh, I can’t do this. I’m just a horrible person. What did I do?’” Solaiman said. “Instead of focusing on the past, I should work toward the future and see what I can change to make myself a better person.”

Junior Preesha Vaswani feels that she benefits from others’ positivity but values her own optimism more. She tries to channel upbeat energy, believing that one small affirmative word can make a big difference in encouragement between herself and others.

“When telling people that they can’t do it, or when I hear that I can’t do it, it drives me to do better. It makes me want to prove them wrong. You said I can’t do it, but watch, I can do it,” Vaswani said.

Special education teacher Brent Sjodin acknowledged that teachers cannot expect students to feel their best everyday. He recognizes that it is human to have bad days and encourages students to check in with him if they need help.

“Not all students are having a good day every day, and recognizing, today was not a good day, but tomorrow can still be better,” Sjodin said.

Additionally, Sjodin noted that everyone makes mistakes and should not be fearful of being wrong. In class, he assigns work with the assumption that students will at least attempt it and work their hardest. If they need help, they are more than welcome to ask or take a second chance.

“I always tell my students, ‘If you get it wrong or you don’t do it right, we can always go back and redo it,” Sjodin said. “Removing the stigma of not being correct is important.”

Erdman defines encouragement as uplifting someone and helping them to follow their hopes for the future.

“At the core, encouragement is trying to help someone be motivated and successful at the things that they want to achieve,” Erdman said.

When feeling discouraged, many find it is helpful when a peer or teacher listens to them, gives them a second try at homework, or troubleshoots future solutions. Numerous students and teachers alike believe flaws are inevitable and people should try their best, embrace mistakes and be kind to themselves and others along the journey.

“(If students) feel like there’s people who appreciate them for who they are and not what they want them to be, then it helps them to feel more that they have a place here and that they’re more willing to engage and maybe take risks,” Sjodin said.