Students take on 300-mile challenge

Isabel Sanchez, Writer

Some athletes lift weights or swim laps over the summer. Cross-country runners at SCHS
run 300 miles.

The cross-country team runs a program called the 300 Mile Club, which challenges
students to run the equivalent of 11 marathons over the course of either summer or winter
break. It is optional for team members, but those who complete the challenge get a t-shirt
and improved endurance.

“I got through it by taking it one week at a time. Starting slow and building my way up in
speed and mileage,” said senior Abby Olsen. She has been in the 300 Mile Club for four
years.

This challenge takes independence, self-discipline, and calculation, say team members.
“It can be achieved by running each day, not including weekends, around five miles a day.
Or one can run more miles each day, but that is up to the runner,” said junior Gabriela
Guillen, a member of the cross-country team.

For senior Lily Engel, the challenge meant giving up sleeping in over the summer.
“During the summer, I wake up around 6 a.m. Monday through Friday and either do a long
road run, a hill run, or a track workout,” she said.

“The point of the club is basically to get into shape for the upcoming season, whether it is
cross country or track. It also gives us something to work toward,” said Engel, who has
been part of the 300 Mile Club twice.

“I vary my mileage and intensity. Some days I run longer than others, and some I run faster.
Eventually I make it to 300 miles.”

Even if a student is not on the cross-country team, they can join with on the challenge.
“It’s been a really great experience building strength and speed, as well as endurance. I
encourage everyone to try; it’s really fun!” said Olsen.