Passing the baton: Jonathan Erdman takes on SCHS’s music department

Sophia Kakarala

Two years ago, Jonathan Erdman coached SCHS’s marching band. Last year, he became its co-director. This year, Erdman is teaching each and every music class that the school offers. It’s a heavy workload, especially for a first-time teacher, but Erdman was prepared.

Erdman, whose students call him “Johnny,” first got into music when he picked up the trombone in middle school, and later played in his high school’s band.

After high school and college, Erdman shuffled through a number of job positions in his first two years leading SCHS’s marching band. Though he was initially brought on to coach marching band, he also began assisting the color guard and drum line.

Last year, he completed his teaching credential by being a student teacher to the two previous music teachers at SCHS, Dave Hibbert and Dave Anderson. A reshuffling in the district left their posts open this year, as Hibbert and Anderson had moved to other schools, and Erdman applied for and got the job.

This means that Erdman now teaches the chorus, concert choir, orchestra, percussion, jazz band, and symphonic band classes at SCHS, in addition to coaching the marching band.

Though Erdman anticipated the workload, running the music department keeps him occupied for the entire school day. His office boasts a whiteboard full of to-do lists and reminders – which only cover his out-of-class duties.

Students in formal music classes like the choir and orchestra said that Erdman teaches them in a hands-on way. “He can teach any music part; he’s a cool guy,” said senior Keiffer Salas, who has been in the string orchestra for three years. He added that the orchestra is playing more challenging music than in previous years.

Erdman is familiar to students who spent time in the music department last year, and he says he has had a warm reception in his transition to a full-time teacher. His office looks out onto the school’s new music room, and students can be found there at lunch, practicing their instruments.

“The work ethic of the kids is inspiring,” Erdman said.