Santa Clara Bruins defeated in first home game of the season

Tomás Mier, Sports Editor

The Santa Clara Bruins lost 20-52 to the Leland High Chargers Friday night, in the football season home opener.

The Bruins varsity team had a rough start and were trailing 35-0 by the end of the first half. In total, the team received 45 unanswered points and recorded only one first down.

Coach Hank Roberts named junior Hadkeem Watts the most valuable player of the match. Watts, a linebacker and running back who Roberts describes as a team leader, recorded a total of 20 tackles during the game.

Reflecting on his performance during the game, wide receiver and defensive back senior Marco Delcourt said, “I have to work on my catching ability and communication.”

Leland Chargers coach Jake Shaughnessy said he was satisfied with the performance of his own team. “I’m glad we got our first win of the season. We know [Santa Clara] is a very dangerous team,” Shaughnessy said.

Shaughnessy was also impressed by the Bruins’ kickoff returns, and both coaches agreed that the special teams of the home side did very well. According to Roberts, this aspect of the team was phenomenal.

Roberts, however, was disappointed with the Bruins’ overall gameplay. “We can’t put our defense down for 90 plays,” he said. “We have to tackle and sustain blocks.”

Despite the loss, the crowd remained upbeat until the end, with chants led by Blue Hole and the marching band. Roberts anticipated better results in the future, vowing, “You will never see this again as long as I’m the football coach.”

After tonight’s game, SCHS’s football team has a 1-2 record, the same as Leland’s. The Bruins’ next game will be at home against Saratoga High School on Oct. 3.