Suspensions now to be served at Wilson High School

Raquel Bowman

A suspension may seem akin to a day off– the opportunity to stay home without worrying about school. But a change in district policy means that at-home suspensions will no longer be an option for many students. Starting this year, students who have committed only minor offenses will serve their suspensions at an off-campus center.

Explaining the change, teacher aide Anthony Butler said, ‘If they are home on suspension, some kids would say it is a privilege.’

Students with less serious suspensions, such as failing to attend Wednesday or Saturday school, will serve their suspension at Wilson High School’s APC, or Alternative Placement Center. The center will run five days a week except on legal holidays and district in-service days.

Time at the APC will count as a school day, and teachers will send work to the administrative office to fax over to students so they will not not fall behind. At Wilson, there will be one credentialed teacher and one teacher aide in the designated classroom. The maximum capacity for the classroom is 20 to 22 students, who will have access to the Internet.

Students attending the APC will have restricted freedoms compared to students at SCHS. At the APC, students who are tardy must stay later, and no electronic devices are allowed. Additionally, students will be escorted to and from the bathrooms.

Principal Gregory Shelby and vice principal Antonio Vela believe the APC will bring positive outcomes. “The goal is to eliminate suspensions stemming from small issues,” said Shelby.

This suspension policy was in place once before, but was halted due to budget cuts. After last spring, the policy was reinstated by the district, and is intended to be a permanent change.

“I think it is beneficial; it is more like a detention for less serious offenders,” said sophomore Irina Quibelan.

Junior Randi Chadband also had a similar sentiment towards the new policy for minor suspensions.

“I think it is a really great idea, especially since now students are accountable for learning the information that they missed,” said Chadband.

Overall, the policy is expected by the administrators to reduce bad behavior.

‘I expect the rate of suspensions will go down and that students will be able to make smarter decisions,’ said Vela.