Winter sports teams gear up for CCS playoffs

Key+player+Vinay+Narayaman+during+a+boys+basketball+game+last+season.+

Kevin Chow

Key player Vinay Narayaman during a boys basketball game last season.

Alex Dacus

For any SCHS team, qualifying for CCS is a big deal. This year, not one but all four of the winter sports teams – girls and boys soccer, boys basketball, and wrestling – made it to the playoffs.

This season marks the third consecutive year that all four teams have qualified for CCS, according to athletics director Tony McGilvery.

McGilvery attributes the trend to good players. “You have to have good players to have a good team,” McGilvery said. “You can’t make chicken soup out of chicken feathers.”

SCHS team member Shaelan Murrison pursues the ball during a game against Fremont. The girls soccer team stands at 3rd place in the De Anza League, with a league record of 6-4-2.

One of the most successful teams on campus, the girls soccer team, managed to place third in the El Camino Division, behind soccer powerhouses Palo Alto and Mountain View.

The team plays its first CCS game against Silver Creek High School, which stands in first place with a 14-0 record in its division. The game will take place at 6 p.m. tomorrow, Feb. 25, at Silver Creek.

If SCHS’s girls team wins, it will face off El Camino Division leaders Mountain View on Saturday.

If the boys team wins against Bellarmine, the team will play either Santa Teresa or Palo Alto on Saturday, Feb. 28.

As for basketball, the girls basketball team played today against Pajaro Valley and beat them with a score of 50-29. The team stands at 4th place in the El Camino League, with a record of 7-5, assisted by key player Katherine Knowles.

Thanks to the win, the team will play Aragon on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the boys basketball team faces Overfelt High School on Thursday at 7 p.m. after reaching CCS with the help of team member Ben Fales, who averages four assists per game, according to MaxPreps.com.

With nerves high before the upcoming games, which determine how far each team will advance in CCS, McGilvery and the team coaches asked for students’ support at the games.

Reporting by Jonathan Tran, Jorge Orellana, and Isabel Sanchez.