Fast and Furious: New coach Hank Roberts determined to build a faster and stronger football team

Hank Roberts teaches US history, economics, and freshman foundations. He is the varsity football coach.

After the departure of football coach Mark Krail, who brought the varsity team up to the De Anza league last year, the Bruins now have a new leader, Hank Roberts.

Roberts became the head coach and a full-time teacher in August. He teaches U.S. History, economics and freshman foundations, and holds football meetings in Room B301.

Although Krail, who was highly appreciated by the players, has left, the players accept Roberts as their new coach.

“I think there were mixed feelings (about the transition), but I think that this was a good change overall,” quarterback Antonio Nazario said.

Roberts has his players do a series of 110-yard sprints and other football drills to help the team with conditioning.

“All the conditioning has paid off. The offense runs so fast we now have time to make more plays, and we’re able to tire out other teams,” Nazario said.

The varsity team is currently at a record of 1-2, with last year’s record being 5-5.
Running back Adam Garza said the intensity level is completely maxed with Roberts.

“He is really straightforward and will make you do more than you think you can no matter who you are,” Garza said.

Roberts said that because the team is new to the more competitive De Anza league, it will take some time to adjust to the higher level of play.

“Our kids get put into situations that they do not know how to handle,” Roberts said.

He wants to be prepared for any situation that may occur in the game and beat it.

“If we see it, we will make sure we know how to beat it, but we are not going to chase a ghost,” he said.

Roberts expects his team to get in 70 to 80 plays a game. He also wants them to be tougher than other teams.

“Everything we do is read option based. Our game plans are also extremely complicated and complex,” Roberts said.

Roberts started coaching in 2001, his senior year at Las Vegas High School in Nevada.  He described his first experience as difficult.

“I was in high school and it was hard to balance everything,” he said.

In addition to serving as the assistant to the defensive coordinator his senior year, he was also the assistant to the head coach as well as to the coach for the freshman offensive line.

Besides assisting at Las Vegas High School, Roberts coached at four other high schools in Nevada as well as Sequoia High School in Redwood City before joining SC.

As head coach here, he understands that the De Anza division brings intense competition and said he is prepared for it.

“We are going to be a physically and mentally tough team, and play harder and faster than other teams can,” Roberts said.