CAMPUS: One freshman reporter attends high school on campus for the first time

When my first period biology class ended and students began logging off the meet, I unmuted to say goodbye to my teacher. “See you tomorrow!” she said, and I was struck with a realization: I would actually see her tomorrow. Not just through my computer screen but in-person. Tomorrow was my first day attending class on campus at SCHS.

On Tuesday, March 30, I picked out an outfit to wear during what I anticipated to be a nerve wracking six hours. I chose a mask to match while my mom snapped a photo for my second “first” day of high school. As soon as I got there, I kept my head down, scared but grateful because I knew in-person distance learning was better than being on my computer at home. 

My biology teacher greeted the six students in my class who had returned. She informed us that we had to clean our desks with a sanitary wipe and then sign into a health check website that tracked COVID-19 symptoms. This same routine continued for every class.

The week before I returned to campus, I was very nervous about wearing a mask for six hours, besides drinking water in class and eating lunch outside. Yet by the end of the week, I was so caught up in the idea of being on campus, I realized the mask part did not affect me that much. 

While the SCHS campus is different and larger than my middle school’s campus, finding my way around did not take me long. I had been longing for a change in scenery all year and here it finally was, right in front of me. It was exhilarating to not know every corner, or where the bathrooms were. 

Walking onto campus, I was absolutely terrified. I had been taking the same classes for seven months, but I was convinced they would be completely different environments in-person. Besides all of the safety protocols, however, it seemed like a normal high school environment. Instead of staring at my laundry and closet, I can look over my shoulder to see my friend in class next to me. After a year alone in my room, actions such as waving to my friend in the same room and raising my hand to ask a question were a novelty. 

The first week of in-person school only included freshmen, which I was very thankful for. Everything was coordinated and the staff were very understanding if a student got lost or had a problem. The hallways are separated into two halves, successfully enforcing social distancing. The initial week gave me the time to learn the routes of the campus and gain experience with being in-person in a less stressful environment. 

I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to attend the last stretch of this school year in-person. In the past month, I have gotten to know the campus, I have met new peers and I now have stronger communication with my teachers. While I will only be on campus for a short time this year, it makes a difference. 

I might not be fully prepared for next year, but one thing I do know is that I am not in the state I was during virtual learning. I have become a much better student who laughs with her peers, stays focused in class and is motivated to work hard. Going to school on campus has allowed me to discover an immense realization: this school is going to be my home for the next three years, and although it had a somewhat rough start, I am grateful for the memories I have on campus so far.