CAMPUS: Accessibility and availability

SCHS’s library serves as a productive hotspot for many students

Asia Celestine

Library Assistant Carol Bamsch prepares books to pass out to freshman English classes.

Numerous SCHS students and staff seeking a reserved and helpful space visit the campus’s library, which serves as a resourceful hotspot. As many Bruins find their own way to utilize the space, they share the library’s academic and social advantages.

Freshmen Aditi Gupta frequently likes to use the library for assignments following the school day.

“Usually after school, if I don’t have another place to go, I’ll come to the library, and I’ll do homework with some of my friends,” Gupta said. “It’s a good place for us to collaborate on projects.”

For her English class, Gupta is assigned an independent reading assignment every quarter and prefers to find her next read at the library.

“I like to pick out my books from here (the library) because they have a wide variety of choices,” Gupta said.

Along with the variety and number of books available in the library, the area serves as a quiet place to work.

“It gives me a quiet place to be able to study, but also, a lot of my friends and peers are in here,” Gupta said. “So if I ever have questions, they’re easy to access and ask.”

Similarly, sophomore Vedanth Vijay prefers to use the library to discuss plans for Creatures & Classrooms, as well as the Dungeons and Dragons Club he and his friends run.

“I’d say (the library is) a quiet environment. It’s easier to stay focused because if we’re kind of discussing things during lunch, it’s really easy for the conversation to get off topic,” Vijay said. “But in the environment of the library, it’s a lot easier for us to stay focused and hammer out the details.”

Instead of a crowded hallway, Vijay prefers the library’s spacious atmosphere when he needs to do homework.

“It’s just a good environment for doing homework because no one really kind of comes up to you and just starts talking,” Vijay said.

Along with a calm space, printers are available for all students, which Library Media Assistant Carol Bamsch believes most of the students who visit use.

“Students come in and check out books, but I would say the majority of the students come in, the printing encapsulates a greater portion of the student body,” Bamsch said.

According to Bamsch, while regular visitors drop by for the same purpose each visit, others may not be as familiar with all the available resources in the library.

“Pretty much, the students come in and know what’s in here,” Bamsch said. “I think a lot of them don’t know that we do have the study room. We do have copies of all their regular textbooks, but sometimes they don’t realize that.”

In efforts to familiarize herself with the student body’s literary interests, Bamsch also resources the library’s collection just as much as the students.

“I check out a book if it’s a book we have plenty of that the students aren’t reading,” Bamsch said. “I’m trying to read more of the student’s books.”

With the various resources, Gupta appreciates the support and benefits found inside the space of the Bruin library.

“I think they’re (library’s resources) perfect because you have access to everything on-hand, right away,” Gupta said. “All the stationery and tools are right to your access.”