OP-ED: Horror movies are the social commentary that we need

Many regard horror films as a source of adrenaline, oozing with gore, jumpscares and quick frights. Horror films, however, are worthwhile not just as graphic and disturbing thrills but as windows into culture, societal fears, values and prejudice. As an art form, horror films take advantage of dread and hope to make statements about injustice. There is often a reason why these movies are scary or disturbing, and by looking back at past horror films as well as present ones, these movies reveal developing commentary on social dynamics.

Although sometimes unintentional, many horror films reveal the general culture and values of their creators. Recurring tropes and trends can be seen in horror films, such as characters of color often dying first. Robin Means Coleman, a leader for Black representation in horror media, explained in her book “The Black Guy Dies First” that in many movies people of color are created “for the sole purpose of sacrificing themselves to save the white hero.” In this way, many horror films reveal racist and hateful attitudes held by their creators.

More recent horror films, such as “Get Out,” a story following a young Black man as he visits his white girlfriend’s family, use horror to force viewers to face the uncomfortable realities of racism. Horror films are able to document shifts and progressions in society, as representation and opportunities for activism change.

Other movies, such as “It Follows” also provide commentary on aspects of society. Documenting a man who must sleep with women to escape a deadly curse, “It Follows” is more than just a ghost story but a statement about the shame and stigmatization that surrounds sex, especially for women. Additionally, “It Follows” shows a progression in femininity and the way women are depicted in horror.

Historically, sexually active women are often some of the first to be killed off in horror films, a trend implicitly shaming women. Another example, “Jennifer’s Body” inverts typical horror dynamics, as the feminine and desirable lead is not the hunted, but the hunter. “Jennifer’s Body” uses horror tropes of the past to defy expectations, showing that Jennifer’s femininity can be powerful as well as scary.

Horror films provide a much-needed lens into American society. They force the reader to ask big questions about the nature of social dynamics, racism, stigmatization and discrimination. Through shock value and cheap thrills, horror films have sometimes been the most influential items of change and progressive dialogue.

As society grows, the things that cause discomfort also lead to progress. The most disturbing horror films are so impactful because they are made to target what a culture finds scary at a given time. So for this spooky season’s horror marathon, look behind the hockey mask and ask the much needed question: “What cultural truths lurk here?”