Students can expect newly enforced dancing policies

Students can expect dancing policies for events such as Winterball and Prom.

Principal Gregory Shelby had enforced a dancing policy for all school dances last year when he was the vice principal. The enforcement of the policy took place because the school dances were getting out of hand, and with this new enforcement the dances are not as bad as they were a few years ago.

The policy requires no inappropriate dancing, such as vertical contact. Which means when two students are dancing, one should not bend over and have their backside facing the other student’s front.

Adding to the policy Shelby enforced, there has always been a legal policy. The legal policy states: All students attending any SCHS dance must abide by the following guidelines:

• Wear appropriate attire – while dress code is slightly relaxed, clothing must provide proper coverage to maintain modesty
  • No sexually suggestive movements or positions (such as freaking or bumping or grinding)
  • No unsafe dancing (such as moshing)
  • Guest must follow the same expectations – if you bring a guest, you are responsible for their behavior.

“If we catch students doing anything inappropriate we will pull them aside, have a conversation and mark their hand for a warning”, said Shelby, referring to the dancing.  If a student is caught again and has a mark on their hand, he or she will be kicked out of the dancing event

Students think the new policy is unfair and that the policies are taking away their ability of having fun at their school dances. “We should be able to dance however we want,” said sophomore Shaelan Murison.

Shelby hopes that students will start listening to the policies to make sure that our dances are not getting out of hand with the inappropriate dancing.