SPORTS: The Popularity of American Soccer: Why has it declined?

Kai Vader
The popularity of soccer continues to decline in American youth.

Soccer, also known as “fútbol” internationally, is popular around the world, however its loss of following in the US is often overlooked, leaving many to question why its reputation has declined.

According to a study by the Sports & Fitness Industry Association, which has analyzed youth athletic trends for 40 years, the number of 6-12 year olds have dropped significantly, down to only 2.3 million in the US.

Sophomore Sora Pham believes soccer is more important on foreign soil.

“In international areas, it’s more celebrated – it’s the main sport in those areas – so it’s more loved,” Pham said. “I feel that it’s popular (in America), but it’s not the main sport that is focused on.”

Similar to Pham, senior Kyle Campbell believes soccer around the world is more loved than in America. Born in England, he has been able to experience soccer and its fanbase in Britain versus America.

“English soccer is a lot bigger and more passionate, and the fans care a lot more,” Campbell said.

JV boys soccer coach Derrick Eszlinger explained the cost to play soccer on a decent team is overpriced, which leads to athletes moving to other sports, especially those who play multiple ones.

“It is absolutely unreasonably priced to play on a quality team, which I would guess pushes really good athletes to other sports,” Eszlinger said. “There is also the issue of multi-sport athletes. In other countries, kids only play one sport. Here, kids could play multiple times, which means they aren’t playing one sport year round.”

In addition to expenses, Pham believes the negative aspects of the sport’s environment may cause athletes to leave the sport. She believes soccer puts pressure on athletes, leading to a decline in the amount of people trying out and playing.

“The competitiveness, the cost and the toxicity of the soccer community… it’s the kind of sport where you have something or you don’t. When you don’t, you’re completely judged for it,” Pham said.

Campbell believes the World Cup is an inspiration for athletes to take up and continue playing soccer. He believes the event keeps soccer alive.

“I have not seen a decline in the amount of athletes that play soccer, or in the popularity of it,” Campbell said. “I believe that it is going up, especially after the World Cup last year.”

In contrast to America, countries such as Morocco and Spain have a stronger connection to soccer. Eszlinger said poorer countries make a living from soccer itself, that it is the foundation of their country and lives in addition to being a way to bond together.

“They only play that sport there. It is also a major way families escape poverty and create a better generational wealth,” Eszlinger said.“There are also local teams whose communities create a lot of unconditional support for it. It creates pride in the community.”