FHA-HERO competes in first competition

Alisha Morales

On February 8th, SCHS’s FHA-HERO competed in their first Competitive Recognition Event. The event included schools in Region 5 and consisted of events from Commercial Food Preparation to Advanced Presentation Cakes.

FHA-HERO is a club that focuses on teaching students about the culinary arts, developing leadership skills, and contributing service to the community. Along with helping students build these skills, FHA-HERO allows students to show off their talent in a range of events.

Jennifer Ho, a sophomore at SCHS, competed individually in the Menu Planning and Table Display event based around the theme prom night. She created a dinner setting for two along with a menu and a nutrional analysis of the meal. Ho ended up receiving fourth in the event and because she placed in the top five she now qualifies for state.

“The competition was an exciting and tiring experience, but all the hard work was worth it,” says Ho.

As a group, the club also competed in the Chapter Exhibit event. The event required students to set up an educational exhibit aimed at motivating other schools to participate in FHA-HERO. The students added pictures and information about the club explaining topics such as college preparation, community service, and leadership, all of which define the core values of FHA-HERO. The group placed first in the event.

Kathy Hopp, the teacher advisor, is proud of their success and at how far the club has come in its first year.

“The students have been working hard the last few weeks and I am proud of all them,” says Hopp.