AP policy restricts dropping

Raquel Bowman

Every year, students approach AP classes with zeal, only to be slapped in the face by a heavy workload. However, dropping an AP course can be just as much work as staying in one, according to vice principal Tony Lam.

According to the school’s AP Drop Policy, students have up to six weeks to drop a class. But in reality, it’s not that easy to drop an AP class even in the first six weeks.

Lam and the counselors view each situation case-by-case taking in all the factors, including whether a student has been misplaced. However, they still want students to be able to challenge themselves with what Lam calls, “reasonable academic risk”.

“No one ever says that they can’t handle an AP course, they just manage their time differently with extracurricular activities,” said Lam.

Some students, on the other hand, view the policy as unfair and harmful to their academic career. “The administration needs to realize that students are well capable of making their own choices regarding whether they want to drop an AP class or not,” said senior Lily Engel.

Students who wish to drop an AP class must meet with their counselor as well as Lam, and are usually encouraged to stay in the course.

AP teachers acknowledge that their courses are difficult, but dropping the course unbalances class sizes, reducing AP class sizes and overcrowding mainstream classes.

“You can’t now start dropping like flies. AP is rigorous, and you knew that,” said AP Language and Composition teacher Carrielynn Haedtler.

Aside from placing students appropriately, the school must also adhere to the teachers’ contracts. Teachers are guaranteed a certain number of classes and students; dropping one class affects the others.

To the students taking AP, Haedtler’s advice is to “not wimp out,” and not feel discouraged by poor results at first. “A C in an AP class can feel like a diamond,” said Haedtler.

“A C in an AP class can feel like a diamond,” – Carrrielynn Haedtler.

Vice principal Antonio Vela advises students to research their course choices carefully, slow down, and take advantage of the opportunity AP classes give them. “Once students do so, they see, ‘I can do this,” and it turns out to be a real positive experience,” said Vela.

Lam agreed. “Keep it balanced, and focus on the long term goal,” he said. “My hope is that after our meetings people realize that they can jump the hurdle.

Reporting contributed by Tomás Mier.