Earth Science Teacher Suzanne Miller-Moody was in a Russian Club

This year, SCHS has welcomed many new staff members to the campus. In the accompanying q & a’s, we take a look at their high school experiences and learn a little bit more about them. Below is a Q&A with science teacher Suzanne Miller-Moody.

Q: What did you want to be growing up?

A: A teacher. I had several really good teachers, especially in junior high and high school, who inspired me. I have loved and enjoyed learning ever since then, and I wanted to pass on knowledge to future generations.

Q: Which high school did you go to?

A: I grew up back east. My high school was called Brandywine High School. Campuses on the East Coast aren’t as wide open as they are here. I like teaching here a lot better than teaching on the East Coast.

Q: What clubs/activities were you involved in?

A: I was in the Russian Club, where we learned Russian and the Russian culture. I was also in the Future Educators of America Club, which was more like an interest club. We would have guest speakers and would be given pointers on how to set ourselves up to become teachers. It was kind of like GAINS (Girls Achieving in Non-traditional Subjects). I was in the Foreign Exchange Program, I had a “sister” from Brazil and a “sister” from Germany. I actually met my Brazilian sister a few years ago.

Q: What advice would you give to your high school self? Why?

A: Work harder, because I paid attention to the wrong things.

Q: What’s your favorite book? Why?

A: Let’s stick with “Gone with the Wind.” It’s epic, it’s sweeping, it’s huge. The whole story takes place in a fifteen-year span right before, during, and after the Civil War in Atlanta, Georgia. The main character is Scarlett O’Hara. She’s amazing.

Q: Who’s your favorite celebrity? Why?

A: My favorite celebrity is President Obama. One of the things I admire about him is his willingness to advocate peaceful change, and that’s something I think our whole world needs more of.

Q: Who’s your favorite superhero and why?

A: Wonder Woman. Do I need to say more? What I like about Wonder Woman is she was designed to be the model for modern woman.

Q: What’s your most memorable teaching experience?

A: Reconnecting with a former student. I ran into him not too long ago. It took a few minutes to recognize him. He’s a good guy who works hard; it’s a bummer he didn’t go to college. But he’s got a career he’s happy with, and what’s more important than that? Very few people come back and say “hi”, but I would love it.