Special education teacher Ana Maria Alcoriza enjoys a good Julia Roberts movie

This school year, SCHS has welcomed many new staff members to the campus. In the accompanying q & a, we take a look at what our new Special Education teacher, Ms. Alcoriza, was like in high school, and learn a little bit more about her.

Q: What did you want to be growing up?  

A: I wanted to work in an office or be a teacher. My parents were most influential in this decision, but also when I was younger I used to role play, and I was always the teacher.   

Q: What high school did you go to?

A: I went to a high school in the Philippines called Bulacan. I have been in this country for six years. I did my high school, bachelor’s degree and most of my studies in the Philippines, except for my special education studies, which I did here.

Q: What clubs or activities were you involved in?

A:  I was in English club, theater, glee club, and dance club. I was also in Girls Scouts. Over there, the Girls Scouts was part of the school– we did not sell cookies.

Q: What advice would you give to your high school self?

A: Keep on dreaming, and don’t let anything or anyone stop you from succeeding.

Q: What would you say your most memorable high school experience was?

A: I would say a memorable moment was having a boyfriend, because in my group of friends, I was the first to have one.

Q: Who is your favorite celebrity?

A: Julia Roberts. She is funny, gorgeous, and I love her acting.

Q: What is your most memorable moment teaching?

A: I was working with one student, who was disliked by everyone. He was a hard student to teach, because he had severe ADHD. One day, on my way to my class, I heard him telling his classmates that I was the only one who believed in him. This was really sweet of him. It melted my heart.