SENIOR SECTION: Some seniors plan to attend community college

For many students, post-high school plans can be summed up with one word: college. Yet for others, four-year universities can be expensive, out of reach, or simply not the right path. Sometimes, enrolling at a four-year college or university seems like the only acceptable option after graduating high school. However, there are many other options to consider. According to College and Career Resource Technician Anthony Butler, community college is always an option.

“They (students) don’t even think about community college, but then life happens, or they didn’t get into the college that they wanted, so community college becomes a factor they need to consider,” Butler said.

Some students feel that community college can help provide extra time to figure out one’s career goals.

“I think some people tend to think that it’s not a good plan to start at community college, but in reality, it is because it will help you a lot if you don’t know what to major (in), and what… the college experience is,” senior Sarah Borja said. “If you just go straight into college, it can be really scary and you just don’t know what to do.”

Community colleges are also often more cost-effective than other options as students may pay around $1500 per year for tuition, while four-year schools can cost around $25,000 a year for tuition, according to CollegeCalc.org. For some students, like senior Allyson Elloso, cost is a major factor.

“(Community college is) less expensive, class schedules can be more flexible, students receive more support and opportunities to explore more major options,” Elloso said.

Additionally, community college is not the end of one’s post-high school path. Instead, it can be a transitional step.

“You’re going to community college and may start at Mission (College) but end up graduating from (UC) Berkeley. It all depends on you as a student and your mindset,” Butler said. “If you go there with a good attitude, you can crush it, do well and transfer. I see it every year, students who go to De Anza end up going to (UC) Davis.”

According to Butler, students should be proud of their accomplishments if they are attending community college, and they should not feel bad about going there. They still have a chance to do great in life.

“People want to go to a four-year college, but when they don’t they say, ‘Oh, I’m just going to a community college.’ ‘Oh, I’m just going to De Anza.’ ‘Oh, I’m just going to Mission,’” Butler said. “What do you mean you’re ‘just’ going to? You’re going to college.”