REVIEW: Olivia Rodrigo’s new album “Guts” reflects growing pains and heartbreak

Courtesy of Googe Images
Through her lyrics, Olivia Rodrigo looks at mistakes and stronger feelings in her new album “Guts”

.Blood-sucking love and desperate delusions are just one click away. On Friday, Sept. 8, pop star Olivia Rodrigo released her sophomore album, “Guts.” On her new album, Rodrigo looks at heartbreaks and stronger feelings through her lyrics.

Rodrigo is no stranger to moving fans to tears with her music. Back in 2021, she released her debut album, “Sour,” a cultivating, heart-wrenching soundtrack that captured the world’s attention.

Rodrigo’s earlier released hit single “Vampire,” showcased herself looking back at big mistakes and not knowing what she wanted and who she was as a person. She still kept her music fresh while tackling a whole new persona. Rodrigo at the time was going through a hard time in her life, and “Vampire” supported her in releasing these feelings.

“I’ve made some real big mistakes / But you make the worst one look fine,” Rodrigo sings.

Rodrigo explores complex emotions on her album, and the song “Making the Bed” is arguably her most absorbing song to date. “Making the Bed” is about feeling untrustworthy with fame and struggling to find real friends. Her previous experiences inspired her to write the song.

“Well, sometimes I feel like I don’t wanna be where I am / Gettin’ drunk at a club with my fair weather friends / Push away all the people who know me best / But it’s me who’s been makin’ the bed / I’m so tired of bein’ the girl that I am,” Rodrigo sings.

With a repeated pattern of heartbreaks and toxic relationships, Rodrigo never fails to turn words into music. In the track “Logic,” the manipulation Rodrigo has been facing is affecting her to the point where she questions the most basic concepts.

“And now you got me thinkin’ / Two plus two equals five / And I’m the love of your life / ‘Cause if rain don’t pour and sun don’t shine / Then changing you is possible / No, love is never logical,” Rodrigo sings.

Rodrigo incorporates her questionable math equations into her song to convey the relationship she went through, and to show that one should not judge a relationship based on appearances.

Throwback to Rodrigo’s 2020 track “Favorite Crime,” she shares a similar sentiment to her newest track “Grudge.” She captivates how both partners in a relationship did some damage to one another, but that she was the one who ended up suffering and being the most hurt.

“And we both drew blood, but, man, those cuts were never equal,” Rodrigo sings.

After 39 minutes of tear-dropping music, Rodrigo is able to connect with her audience of teenage girls through lyrics. Throughout the album, she demonstrates how teenagers nowadays feel with love and other struggles by singing her heart out about her own personal issues. This album is perfect for those who are going through a breakup or simply have strong emotions and want to listen to them through music.