REVIEW: Madison Beer’s new album “Silence Between Songs” is definitely not silent

Beer represents the most authentic version of herself in her new album SIlence Between Songs.
Courtesy of Google Images
Beer represents the most authentic version of herself in her new album “SIlence Between Songs”.

.Many may recognize Madison Beer for her acting and modeling, yet her music career as a singer, songwriter and producer is often ignored, despite her massive discography of pop hits. From being the lead singer of the anthem “We Are Monster High” in 2013 to her debut studio album “Life Support” in 2021, Beer returns to music with more authenticity than ever.

Her second studio album,“Silence Between Songs,” represents her growth as an artist beyond her acting and modeling career. The title alludes to the long and an unsettling feeling of loneliness during the silent transitions between songs on an album.

The debut single “Reckless” introduces listeners to the storybook style heartbreak of her upcoming album. Beer revisits the lies of her ex and wishes she trusted her friends’ intuition to ease the pain of the break up.

“I still have the letter you wrote / When you told me that I was the only girl / You’d ever want in your life I guess my friends were right,” Beer sings.

The track “17” showcases her growth from ages 17 to 21, reflecting on her past self. Her joyful youth was stripped away sooner than she thought, while her happiness diminished from overworking herself in the industry. Beer reflects on her endless desire to take a break and exist freely.

“I wish I had more time / This summer skin, it fades too quick somehow / Oh is it too late now to slow down?” Beer sings.

Beer’s fairytale-esque lyrics are prominent in the song “Dangerous.” She wants to belong to her partner but has conflicting feelings of resentment as well. Her expectations of being together with her partner and starting a family floods her mind.

“Right when I think I hate you / Something pulls me under like the tide / Even picked a house and chose our kids’ names / You’d always be mine,” Beer sings.

In “Ryder,” Beer expresses the difficulty of growing up and becoming distant with her younger brother. She mourns the loss of her childhood with Ryder and her desire to cry with him rather than for him.

“All the years that we’re stolen / You were still in that house / I shouldn’t have left you behind / And I fall to pieces / Sometimes all that you need is a shoulder to cry,” Beer sings.

The album ends with “King of Everything,” which moves on from heartbreak to hatred. Beer targets her prior manager, Scooter Braun, and his fall from grace.

For the past decade, Braun has been a powerful music executive and talent agent. The moment he bought and sold the rights of Taylor Swift’s first six albums, his strenuous contracts and controversies resurfaced.

The news caused Beer to leave Braun’s management, developing her own voice and creative freedom in her music. She criticizes his success built off vulnerable young artists and questions if his wealth satisfies his abuse of power.

“Building a home made up of gold / Of people you hurt, bridges to Hollywood / You took, then burned / I hope it was worth it,” Beer sings.

The album ends on a sour note, but as a whole, “Silence Between Songs” is definitely not silent. Beer has a lot to convey and is not ashamed to sing it out loud.