New history teacher David Ledesma shares his various talents with SCHS students

Ledesma+studied+many+different+professions+on+his+way+to+becoming+a+teacher.+
Amelia Tai
Ledesma studied many different professions on his way to becoming a teacher.

Similar to New York’s history and bustling crowds of shared talent, new SCHS social studies teacher David Ledesma brings his vast knowledge of different subjects to bestow upon others.

Prior to teaching at SCHS, Ledesma taught at schools in New York City and, most recently, at Don Callejon Middle School in SCUSD. After teaching for 20 years, Ledesma is excited to learn how teaching at SCHS will differ from Don Callejon in addition to experiencing more beyond academics.

“I’m looking forward to seeing some football games because we don’t have that at the middle school,” Ledesma said. “You have pretty big teams, so I’m looking forward to seeing some games.”

In addition to the high school experience, Ledesma is hoping to share some of his passions with students.

“I made work machines, and I made my own personal gaming machines,” Ledesma said. “I wish I could do a tech club or something over here.”

In his path to becoming a teacher, Ledesma studied accounting, criminal justice and computers. He picked up many talents, with work on computers being one of his abundant passions.

Along with the technology club he hopes to start, Ledesma also wants to partake in a movie club.

“I’m a big movie buff. I also want to join a movie club. If people want to watch horror movies or sci-fi TV shows or something like that, I could do that during lunch,” Ledesma said.

Along with his love for movies, Lesdema appreciates many older classics.

“I’m a huge Star Wars fan, a huge Star Trek fan, a huge Stargate fan, Battlestar Galactica – I’m into all that,” Ledesma said.

Ledesma’s love for a wide range of hobbies and interests is reflected in the subject he teaches as well.

“I love history itself. I’m that type of person that will sit down and watch the History Channel all night long,” Ledesma said. “I tend to look at different history books, and I go over and listen to history podcasts.”

Along with having interests outside of school, Ledesma believes being passionate about education is important.

“I feel like if you enjoy something a lot, it would be a good thing for you to teach it to others,” Ledesma said.