The increasing age of U.S. Presidents create various consequences for the country

The+lack+of+young+voting+participation+causes+elderly+groups+to+dominate%2C+resulting+in+older+leaders+for+the+country.+
Amelia Tai
The lack of young voting participation causes elderly groups to dominate, resulting in older leaders for the country.

Presidents have been getting older and, at the moment, there is no restriction to this. While the minimum age to run as president is 35, there has not been a decided maximum age. According to The Hill, the Constitution’s framers never considered presidential age as an expected issue because of lower life expectancy rates in the 18th century. Now that America has progressed in healthcare and quality of living, the country is facing unprecedented complications due to recent presidents’ elderly dispositions.

Presidents are too old to accurately represent the ideals of the American people. America is well known as a progressive country with politics constantly evolving to match the minds of the majority of the population. According to the Pew Research Center, older presidents have a difficult time keeping up with a progressive society. 

Numerous presidents have outdated views and this has caused problems to arise. For example, Black Lives Matter protests against police brutality were held at the White House, due to then President Donald Trump’s inaction against racial injustice. There were also instances where voters disagreed with a presidential candidate’s stance but ultimately were forced to settle as seen in the 2020 presidential election. The primary reason for the issue of settling for a candidate stems from the fact that less than half of these candidates’ ages match the age demographics that make up the voters. 

Furthermore, deteriorating physical and mental health in old age leave some presidents unfit to lead the country. According to section four of the 25th Amendment of the American Constitution, if the President is unable to carry out the duties and powers of the presidency, they are to be removed from their position. Section four has never been used, however, and it leaves much mystery and difficulty in the process of judging the ability of a president. 

The Week reported at least 15% of individuals over the age of 75 suffer from some sort of cognitive impairment. Similarly, Joe Biden is serving as the oldest president and following a doctor’s appointment, the President has a worsening gait that can likely be attributed to a destructive disease in the brain or spine. Most believe it may be dementia, a disease that can cause memory loss and can prevent individuals from passing logical judgment.

While concerns over Joe Biden’s presidency and fitness at 80 years old are justified. President Biden could one day collapse and pass away in any moment as a result of his age and its side effects. Biden, a man who is meant to lead the American nation to represent its people, is expected to stand as a powerful figure upon whom many depend. Thus, electing an elderly president should, in fact, be prevented.

Among many, California is a state known for its progressivity, something older presidents cannot keep up with. According to an article by World population review, California is one of the most liberal states in America and is ranked in the top five as one of the most diverse states. California is known for being forward-thinking and is a state with a population that is constantly adapting politically and morally. Some presidents, however, stand in opposition to these practices such as Trump.

During his presidency, Trump was 70 years old and his backwards beliefs adequately represented this. Trump has been caught making numerous transgressions toward women, African Americans, Jews, Mexicans, Hispanics, Indigenous Americans and people with disabilities. This extensive range of discrimination is what leaves Trump, and multiple older figures, incapable of representing today’s America, with numerous Americans identifying with the descriptions Trump has taken to mocking. 

While one’s age does not equate to their morals, it does show that a stark barrier exists between the old and the young. California and many other states are ones that are constantly changing and in order to be fairly represented, its leaders need to change with it.

Americans need to elect younger candidates. The Pew Research Center reported around 31% of Americans hope to have a president between the ages of 40 and 60, with most claiming that the ideal age would be an individual in their 50s. The reason that older candidates are currently being elected despite the majority of Americans being roughly 40 years old is due to lack of voting participation. Many of the elderly vote, whereas participation lacks from younger voters and thus the nation ends up with a president whose views do not coincide with their own. In order for change to occur, the youth of America needs to begin taking their voting privileges seriously and if not, they will be the ones to suffer the consequences in upcoming years.