Sampha delivers a spiritual performance in his new album “Lahai”

Sampha%E2%80%99s+new+album+%E2%80%9CLahai%E2%80%9D+allows+him+to+be+certified+as+an+innovative+solo+artist.+
Courtesy of Google Images
Sampha’s new album “Lahai” allows him to be certified as an innovative solo artist.

After having been recently featured in Kendrick Lamar’s “Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers” in 2022 and Travis Scott’s “Utopia” earlier this year, British singer and songwriter Sampha released his sophomore album “Lahai” on Oct. 20, 2023. “Lahai” provides the tales of  “generations, grief, love, spirit, fear, and flight,” Sampha stated in an interview with Apple Music. Although regarded highly for his amazing features on other albums, “Lahai” confirms that Sampha has the artistic ability to stand on his own. 

For Sampha, the album’s title “Lahai” holds importance given that it serves as Sampha’s middle name and his grandfather’s first name. Prior to the release of “Lahai,” he released two lead singles “Spirit 2.0” and “Only.” 

In the song “Dancing Circles,” Sampha expresses a reminiscent memory of having once danced with someone he had not seen in a long time. He remembers how good it felt to dance with them and expresses his love for the individual by singing over a moving metronomic piano. 

Hold me, hold me so much so we both let go / Glancin’, you know I love you though / Recollectin’ moments back in Mexico,” Sampha sings. 

Sampha reevaluates his life on the song “Can’t Go Back,” expressing that there were moments in his life where he was busy thinking of the future. Sampha admits that he could have been more present and acknowledges that the past cannot be undone. He begins to live in the moment. 

“Can’t go back, you can move forward slower / Can’t go back, you can move forward slower,” Sampha sings. 

What makes Sampha stand out amongst other artists is his outstanding and soothing voice. Throughout the 41-minute record, Sampha displays an impressive vocal range. In “Suspended,” Sampha sings over a rapid piano with electronic instrumentation while controlling his voice through the track. 

“In another life, we were two birds that soared / In another life, I don’t know who you are,” Sampha sings. 

“Suspended” delves into falling in and out of a dreamlike state and the reality of life. The self-reflection he discusses is in regard to the women who have helped him become the man he is today. The song works as a love letter by recognizing those who have supported him along the way. 

“Lahai” serves as a personal and mind-opening album into Sampha’s spirituality. Euphoric sounds accompanied with an angelic voice demonstrate that Sampha deserves more respect than strictly being considered a “featured artist.”