REVIEW: blink-182’s new album “ONE MORE TIME…” explores brotherhood and inseparable relationships

Courtesy of Google Images
The importance of loved ones is explored in blink-182’s new album “ONE MORE TIME…”

Since 1992, pop-punk band blink-182 has been spreading the gospel of individualism. blink-182 consists of So-Cal rock members Travis Barker (drummer), Tom DeLonge (lead guitarist) and Mark Hoppus (bassist/vocalist). Drawing inspiration from bands like “The Cure” and “Fugazi,” the band reunited for their ninth studio album entitled “ONE MORE TIME…” consisting of 17 tracks.

The new album reintroduces listeners to the original trio of the band after DeLonge’s absence on their last two albums. blink-182 has experienced many splits and rejoins within their group, but “ONE MORE TIME…” signifies a new beginning.

The first track, “ANTHEM PART 3,” calls back to two of their previous songs and albums: “Anthem” (Enema Of The State) and “Anthem Part 2” (Take Off Your Pants And Jacket). “ANTHEM PART 3” is filled with invigorating drums and a punk rock ‘90s vibe.

Although the song has an upbeat melody, the lyrics are more serious. “ANTHEM PART 3” is a wiser version of their previous immature anthems. “Anthem” and “Anthem Part 2” blamed all of the authority figures for their not-so-glamorous upbringings. This song, however, differs because they are taking back the reins on life and owning up to past mistakes.

“This time, I won’t be complacent / The dreams I gave up and wasted / A new high, a new ride and I’m on fire / My old (expletive) ends here tonight,” Hoppus sings.

The emotional album explores themes of loss, healing and what it means to be family. The album’s title track and single “ONE MORE TIME” has a slowed down beat opposed to their upbeat and hardcore rhythm, resulting in a somber tone.

“Strangers, from strangers into brothers / From brothers into strangers once again,” DeLonge sings.

The lyrics are referring to DeLonge’s multiple splits from blink-182. Even though the band split, they feel that nothing is different because they grew up together.

“Older, but nothing’s any different / Right now feels the same, I wonder why / I wish they told us, it shouldn’t take a sickness / Or airplanes falling out the sky,” Hoppus sings.

“ONE MORE TIME” dwells on Hoppus’ cancer and Barker’s plane crash, allowing them to realize how important their bond of brotherhood is. They sing about how it should not take tragedies to make people see what is important in life.

With steady and melodious drums picking up during the chorus, their single and 10th track, “YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’VE GOT,” advises not to take loved ones for granted.

“I begged for your forgiveness / I made a deal with God / I took you all for granted / You can write my epilogue / You don’t know what you’ve got, ’til it’s almost gone,” DeLonge and Hoppus sing.

“CHILDHOOD,” their last track, focuses on the loss of identity.

“Guess we’re all desensitized, forgot the meaning of our lives / Why is everyone afraid to be themselves / Woah-oh, woah-oh / What’s going on with me? Everybody seems / So lost / 2023, who the (expletive) are we?” DeLonge and Hoppus sing.

In this track the band reminisces on the good old days. As they grew, their hectic lives have distracted them from their brotherhood, but now they are back together.

“Remember when we were young / And we’d laugh at everything? / Got caught up in a world / That forgot how to dream / I’d never thought we’d end up here / We’re back in time, to the best years,” DeLonge and Hoppus sing.

With Barker being the producer, drums are front and center throughout the duration of the album. This has some drawbacks due to the overpowering drums drowning out a lot of the vocals in some songs. The message of the importance of loved ones, however, concretes the reflective and nostalgic album “ONE MORE TIME…” as one of blink-182’s best.