OPINION: Similar social media features promote influencers and redefine the tech industry

Amelia Tai
Apps that have similar interfaces help to promote influencers and various companies reaching a large audience.

With the surge of Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter and its change to X, Musk has altered the social media landscape and the technology world at large. He implemented changes to Twitter, such as adding a paid subscription for user verification along with announcing his invention of Twitter 2.0, The Everything App.

Musk’s ambitions for his new app are catching the attention of the media. According to Politico, Musk is planning to implement a monthly payment for X, using it as a defense mechanism against fake accounts that amplify hate posts. Musk’s influences do not only affect other social media platforms but also users and content creators.

Well-known application features from TikTok are being transitioned to Instagram with its Reels. Similarly, Stories from Snapchat have been taken to Instagram, WhatsApp and other well-used social media apps. The competition between apps affects the amount of user engagement received. With similar applications, more content is able to be shared, therefore, increasing engagement from users.

Having multiple interfaces allows individuals to have the ability to promote their content through various platforms, reaching wider and different audiences. In addition, posting and sharing content through multiple social media platforms allows for more engagement with users. This leads to more brand recognition and opportunities one can receive.

Businesses and companies are also highly influenced because of the different social media apps. According to Business, it is difficult to rely on one single platform to target the audience. By using multiple social media apps that directly target audience members will increase connection with more people and increase growth. For businesses that have competitors, it is important for them to be on similar social networking communities in order to receive the potential benefits.

Another aspect to consider, however, is the efficacy regular users experience with the several applications. It becomes overwhelming and confusing with the numerous amount of content being posted in their feed. In addition, information becomes repetitive since similar content is being posted within different apps.

While there are significant advantages and disadvantages with the influence of apps using similar interfaces, it is essential to realize that the overall impact of the platforms change. Having similar features allows for promotion of influencers and other businesses.