The wait is finally over for Taylor Swift’s album, “1989 (Taylor’s Version)”

Taylor+Swift%E2%80%99s+new+album%2C+%E2%80%9C1989+%28Taylor%E2%80%99s+Version%29+looks+back+on+love+and+past+memories.+
Courtesy of Google Images
Taylor Swift’s new album, “1989 (Taylor’s Version) looks back on love and past memories.

On Oct. 27, 2023, Taylor Swift released “1989 (Taylor’s Version),” her fourth re-recorded album. Prior to the album drop, Swift teased that her next re-recorded album would be “1989” in her “I Can See You” music video, starring Joey King, Taylor Lautner, Presley Cash and Swift herself. The album consists of 21 tracks, with five new songs from the vault. Additionally, the deluxe version includes a rerecording of the “Bad Blood” remix featuring Kendrick Lamar.

With each re-recorded album, many fans have discussed the romances Swift was involved in during the original recordings. Swift’s songs on “1989” have sparked fans to revisit the short-lived relationship Swift shared with singer songwriter Harry Styles. Though Swift has never confirmed the rumors, her song “Style” is considered to be about her relationship with Styles. Lyrics in the chorus suggest the song is about Styles through descriptions of one lover’s looks.

The title itself also hints who the song was written about. The famous pop hit opens by setting the scene of two lovers in a scandalous and controversial relationship. They go in circles through their troubled relationship, finding their way back to each other. Despite all they go through, the two “never go out of style.”

“Slut!” is the most anticipated vault song on the album. With a jumpy beat, Swift romanticizes the relationship she was in and the idea of loving someone so much that they were worth being called a slut over. She paints the picture of an alive and exciting relationship through mentions of vibrant colors, such as aquamarine, tangerine and flamingo pink. Swift shrugs off the name calling due to her love for the other.

“Love thorns all over this rose / I’ll pay the price, you won’t / /And if they call me a slut / You know it might be worth it for once,” Swift sings.

“Say Don’t Go” brings out her lower register voice in a chant of unrequited love. Swift sings about the frustration of loving someone who does not meet them halfway and the vulnerability that comes with it. The lyrics touch on the desperation Swift has for her partner to feel the same way and wishing for them to stay.

“I’m standin’ on a tightrope alone / I would stay forever if you say, ‘Don’t go’ / Now your silence has me screamin’, screamin’ / And I’m yours, but you’re not mine / I said, ‘I love you’ / You say nothing back,” Swift sings.

“Now That We Don’t Talk” is about watching changes in past lovers’ lives as they grow apart and move on from their previous relationship. Swift shares that she consulted her mother for advice about her split. The song is about coming to terms with reality, acceptance and letting go, ending with a “maybe it is for the better” note.

“You didn’t have to change / But I guess I don’t have a say / I call my mom, she said that it was for the best / Guess maybe I am better off now that we don’t talk,” Swift sings.

In “Suburban Legends,” Swift sings about an instant connection in a past fling that left a mark on her heart. She reminisces on the memory of someone who felt like the right person at the wrong time. Using the example of star signs, she references the belief that certain star signs are meant for each other while theirs were mismatched.

“You were so magnetic it was almost obnoxious / And you kiss me in a way that’s gonna screw me up forever / And I can still see you now / I broke my own heart ’cause you were too polite to do it,” Swift sings.

“Is It Over Now?” signals the end of the album. The song gives a feeling of unfinished business and possibility between past lovers. Time changes emotion, washes away anger and helps one another move on from the past. Swift expresses how the thoughts of the other are still in her head while also seeing glimpses of them in other people.

“I see your profile and your smile on unsuspecting waiters / You dream of my mouth before it called you a lying traitor / Was it over then? And is it over now? / Your new girl is my clone,” Swift sings.

Swift’s re-recorded album could arguably be her best work so far. Her matured voice gives the sense of looking back on love and past memories. Many listeners would argue that it was worth staying up until midnight for.