One reporter reviews SCHS’s drama department’s fall play ‘Little Women’

Nicklaus Chui
One reporter reflects on her experience of attending the fall play ‘Little Women.’

On Saturday, Nov. 11, at 7:00 pm, I escaped the chilly weather as I stepped into the lobby of the SCHS theater to watch “Little Women,” the fall play put on by the drama department. After receiving a playbook, theater teacher Angelo Reyes greeted me inside.

As I walked through the rows of seats, “My Love Mine All Mine” by Mitski played through the theater speakers. Groups of family and friends chatted excitedly as they waited for the play to begin. The evening began as the director of the production, senior Monica Enloe, expressed her gratitude toward her actors and teachers that helped the department be able to perform the production to audiences.

Set in the late 1800s, “Little Women” is about four sisters who gain knowledge and experiences as they grow from childhood to adulthood trying to find their true selves. As people come and go in the sisters’ lives, they learn the importance of time and love, surrounding themselves with all that really matters.

To open up the play, the four sisters are excited for Christmas day, even though their father is out fighting in the Civil War. The sisters start to learn about their personalities and start figuring out what occupation they want to pursue in their lives. By the end of the show, the characters have changed from being timid and afraid to brave and proud, keeping their friends, families and goals close to their hearts.

Throughout the production, the cast and stage crew made sure that all props, backdrops and costumes were on point. The backdrop gave a sense of scenery and setting to the audience, and the costumes and props allowed for a more active and lively show. The sound and lighting also played into elevating the emotion and excitement in the room.

With talented actors and behind-the-scenes help, the students put together a play filled with emotion and importance, leaving the audience with something to think about long after the play ended. The applause and excitement from the crowd livened up the theater, showing a connection between the characters and the audience. One of the main characters, Jo, played by senior Marisa Malto, especially expressed excitement and enthusiasm while performing her lines.

The “Little Women” performances were on Nov. 9, 10 and 11, and it will also show again this coming weekend, Nov. 17 and 18. Although sad and heartbreaking at some points, “Little Women” had a meaningful impact on the audience and the teachers and students behind the play. It teaches everyone to live their lives with love and compassion as well as to chase their dreams.