REVIEW: Conway The Machine Certifies Himself As One Of The Most Consistent Artists with his new EP “Conductor Machine”

Courtesy of Google Images
Conway The Machine’s “Conductor Machine” exuberates class, confidence and a concise listen.

On Friday Dec. 1, rapper Conway The Machine (Demond Price) released his seven-track EP with producer Conductor Williams, “Conductor Machine,” making it his fourth record released in 2023. Although having worked together in the past, this collaboration allows for both experts to exhibit their strengths masterfully as “Conductor Machine” contains the likeness of dark and gritty dominance, introspectiveness and wonderfully-curated sampled beats, making for a short and worthwhile 15 minute listen.

The opening track, “Blessings Of The King,” begins with a cartoon monologue abruptly shortened by a slow and soothing sample loop. Price, having come from a difficult upbringing, discusses that even after all the success accumulated, the life of surviving difficulty and a poor environment such as the hood he grew up in calls him back for more.

“I’m back on the stove again / Got the double R on the road again / Momma, there go that man, they know it’s him / Cover me, I’m going in,” Price raps.

In the song “Flame,” feature 7xvethegenuis opens the track with an intention to prove herself, with an immense hunger seen throughout the shortest song on the album. 7xvethegenuis accompanied with Price rap over a witty and dark beat that implements diminished chords and the rapid sound of a money counter. The chemistry between both artists blends well, creating one of the best sounding tracks on the record.

“On a mission in the booth, outta tune to tell the truth / I’ve been known for captivating a verse / I’ve been on my job since she packed me up with the work,” 7xvethegenuis raps.

On the penultimate track, “Church Fan,” artist Jae Skeeses takes the mic and raps over a boom bap chop sample, sharing lyrics that delve into the world of perspective and what really matters: the decision of balancing between family and falling into the temptation of one’s own self-desire.

“What’s more important? The revenge or being there for his family / That’s like asking me if I wanna watch my daughter walk across the stage / Or if I wanna be there for the Grammys,” Skeeses raps.

“Conductor Machine” entails the accountings of a violent lifestyle, similar to Price’s other records. The violent and aggressive boom bap rap is prominent within the record. Serving as his fourth record of the year, “Conductor Machine” serves as an indication that Conway The Machine is here to stay and ready to dominate the underground rap scene in the coming years.