REVIEW: As a collection of their previous songs, The Killers release their new album “Rebel Diamonds”

Courtesy of Google Images
With beautiful lyrics and instrumental, The Killers new album “Rebel Diamonds” is a must listen.

The influential rock band and makers of the famous song “Mr. Brightside,” The Killers released another album titled “Rebel Diamonds” on Dec. 8, 2023, featuring many of their most cherished songs from over two decades in the music industry. The Killers are mainly a four-person group that formed in 2001.

The first song, “Jenny Was a Friend of Mine,” previously released on the 2004 album, “Hot Fuss,” is newly-launched on “Rebel Diamonds.” The song starts off with a smooth and long introduction of a guitar solo and helicopter sounds whirring. “Jenny Was a Friend of Mine” is rumored to be an allusion to Jennifer Levin’s death after her murderer confessed. Part of the song is from the perspective of an eye witness or friend grieving her death and knowing she did not deserve it.

“There ain’t no motive for this crime / Jenny was a friend of mine,” lead singer and keyboardist Brandon Flowers sings.

The next set of lyrics refer to how Levin’s lover adored her too much. When he realized she was not reciprocating his appreciation, he went mad and committed her murder. Flowers sings from the point of view of the murderer trying to prove his innocence in court.

“We took a walk that night, but it wasn’t the same / We had a fight on the promenade out in the rain,” Flowers sings.

On the second song, “Mr. Brightside,” Flowers refers to how he put a lot of devotion into his past lover. He is torn because she cheated on him, yet he wants his old girlfriend back since she slipped away. The song has been rumored to be based on a true story, where Flowers’ girlfriend cheated on him and he found out.

The instrumental part portrays an upbeat positive cadence to contrast with the depressing emotions. The band empathizes with Flowers and many possible listeners’ feelings after being cheated on, or viewed as second on someone’s to-do list.

“But she’s touchin’ his chest now / He takes off her dress now / Let me go / And I just can’t look, it’s killin’ me / And takin’ control,” Flowers sings, which guitarist Dave Keuning helped write.

Other lyrics from “Mr. Brightside” are beautiful and touch on the topics of jealousy and wanting. Flowers uses irony to describe nature and peaceful topics compared to difficult tragedies. This could sympathize with listeners liking or even loving someone but not being able to get their attention let alone force the relationship.

“Jealousy, turnin’ saints into the sea / Swimmin’ through sick lullabies / Chokin’ on your alibis,” Flowers sings.

“All These Things That I’ve Done” by Flowers, bassist Mark Stoermer and gospel choir The Sweet Inspirations, originally on “Hot Fuss,” is rereleased on “Rebel Diamonds.” The song goes into a haunting soundtrack, then Flowers’ commanding voice is turned up much louder than the background.

Flowers refers to himself as a soldier to demonstrate his competition and devotion to his lover, such as one would be loyal to their country. He is begging his love not to put him on the “backburner” and mark him as a last resort. Flowers is asking her to pay him some mind because he would pay her his life.

“While everyone’s lost, the battle is won / I got soul but I’m not a soldier,” Flowers, Stoermer and The Sweet Inspirations sing.

The popular song “Somebody Told Me” begins with a synthesized sound and a type of guitar solo from the band, launching into Flowers’ beautiful and irresistibly convincing tone of voice. Some websites hypothesize that in the first line, the lead singer may be discussing how he has inserted a huge amount of effort into the music industry, or that many people insert huge effort into a career only to reap small benefits.

“Breakin’ my back just to know your name / Seventeen tracks and I’ve had it with this game,” Flowers sings.

On track 14, “My Own Soul’s Warning,” from the original “Imploding the Mirage” album, Flowers discusses lack of self-worth and internal evil. He uses violent words with differing instrumentals and sounds, such as rattling, cutting and knives. The artist recommends listening to one’s gut feeling because the instinct is there for a reason.

“But in the end, something just didn’t feel right / Oh, I tried diving even though the sky was storming / I just wanted to get back to where you are,” Flowers sings. “It made a messed up sound / And it kept on rattling through my days / And cutting up my nights / Like a (expletive) knife.”

Flowers asks multiple rhetorical questions and uses natural imagery to symbolize his body and mind. He tried to fix something in the past but knows he cannot do anything about it now. Flowers poses questions to the listener, such as if they knew what occurred in the future, would they alter something now?

“If you could see through the banner of the sun / Into eternity’s eyes, like a vision reaching down to you / Would you turn away? / What if it knew you by your name?” Flowers sings. “And it got me thinking, no matter how far. I just wanted to get back to where you are.”

The “Rebel Diamonds” by The Killers is now available for any one to indulge in. The Killers’ songs are a mixture of beautiful lyrics, relatable metaphors and characters, along with similar and contrasting instrumentals that enhance the piece, making it a relatable and delightful experience for anyone.