REVIEW: “Orquídeas” by Kali Uchis includes valuable lessons about getting over relationships and moving on in life

Courtesy of Google Images
“Orquídeas” by Kali Uchis showcases expanded vocals and explores themes of desire and want.

Colombian-American singer, songwriter, actress and designer Kali Uchis released a new album on Jan. 12, 2024, “Orquídeas.” “Orquídeas,” meaning Orchids, was released as her second Spanish album in Uchis’ discography, which includes “Red Moon in Venus,” “Sin Miedo,” “Isolation.”

The famous artist of the song “Telepatía” has roughly 38.7 million listeners on Spotify and is the 80th most popular artist in the world. Uchis aimed to create her album cover as a reference to Prince’s past album, “Lovesexy.” The album cover demonstrates her body being choked in rope while the background is filled with gorgeous orchids and other flowers. In “Variety” magazine, Uchis said her goal for the cover was to juxtapose the soft background of flora with the brutal rope she is entwined in, and that conflict is reflected in her album.

Beginning with drums and instrumentals, the song “Me Pongo Loca” by Uchis stirs up a positive soundtrack which opposes the difficult lyrics about two sides of a past breakup. She admits her own feelings from the breakup and how she does not believe it is her fault and does not want to remain friends. Uchis admits that she gets crazy and passionate but does not claim that that is what caused the breakup.

Uchis still has some faltering feelings but wants to let him go. This could be relative to the listener going through a breakup or considering dumping a toxic ex. The initial breakup could be awful, and one may have trouble letting the other down, or even breaking their heart. Uchis, however, recommends that it is better to rip off the bandaid when one has lost feelings and not string along the other.

“Ya estoy harta de pensar / Todo que quiero es olvidar / Digo que a mí me vale cero / Pero tampoco soy hecha de hielo (Yeah),” Uchis sings.

In the third song on the track, Uchis and Peso Pluma sing “Igual Que Un Angél.” The song begins with a dreamy, fluffy soundtrack with Uchis vocalizing, then jumping into English and Spanish lyrics beautifully intertwined. In this song lyric, they discuss how others treat the angel they are describing. They see her as resilient and loving even with mistreatment.

“Igual Que Un Angél” is written about the woman role model others should strive to be, searching for true love, regardless of the past. Uchis is describing a similar feeling many relate to about people craving fame or prosperity, and giving up on love if it is not immediate. She sings about a pure angel believing true love is out there, ready to make her heart beat again. Uchis recommends people be patient and the right one will come over time.

“Ya le juraron amor y le fallaron / Ojitos secos de todo lo que lloraron / Pero ella no se rinde, sonríe aunque le duela / Porque personas como ella ya no quedan (Oh-oh, oh, oh),” Uchis sings.

On the sixth track, “Te Mata,” the artist moves on from a disrespectful boyfriend in the past, knowing it is difficult but better to move forward. People could interpret this similarly to Uchis’ song “Me Pongo Loca” and how one should resist from trying to patch up a relationship that is already broken. The listener could consider leaving the pain behind and demand higher standards.

Uchis’ description is similar to how she left her ex for good. She won’t forget the mistreatment, but will let the hurt roll off her back. Uchis admittedly states that she let him treat her poorly and repeatedly woke up each day on to continue being treated like a doormat.

“La que con todos tus maltratos se quedó siempre como si nada (Siempre como nada) / Y yo permitía tus acciones, me dolían como balas (Como balas) / La que lloraba hasta dormir y despertaba a seguir la pesadilla,” Uchis sings.

For the eleventh track, Uchis and KAROL G collaborate on a Reggaetón track called “Labios Mordidos,” which means “Bitten Lips” in English. Uchis first discusses owning someone’s attractiveness and asserting dominance in a relationship. Listeners may enjoy the unapologetic tone and upbeat track for a dominant mood and a way to unleash from others’ opinions. This song reverberates confidence and a clean slate for their new phase of life, whether someone is moving on from an ex, or wants a sign to make the first move.

“Dale bien suave, estás advertido (Oh-oh) / Que es bien probable te envicies conmigo (Oh-oh) / Y si tú quieres de lo prohibido (Oh-oh) / Yo te doy duro, mami, yo te castigo (Oh-oh),” Uchis sings.

Also in “Labios Mordidos,” KAROL G follows up on the melody with lots of spunk and a demanding voice. In the beginning, the two artists summarize themselves as feeling confident and sexually attractive. Toward the end of the song, she describes another divine, almost magnetic woman, like herself. This lyric can also compare to other songs on “Orquídeas,” including words like “Diosa,” “muñequita” and “angél,” which translates to “Goddess,” “doll,” and “angel.” People may interpret this song to feel more confident or even like a Goddess. Rather than feeling insecure about their body or not worthy in a relationship, listeners can own their sexuality and be happy in their body.

“La baby está agresiva con esa carita cute (Ey) / La tiene bien montada en todo su neighborhood,” KAROL G sings.

In multiple sources and the music video of the song “El Corazón es Mío,” Uchis teases her new pregnancy with Don Toliver. She refers to her superglue bond she shares with him, such as that of a best friend. Uchis believes other people’s opinions about them do not matter because Uchis and Toliver share such a steady relationship that they are able to spend their whole lives together and raise a child. A listener may relate to feeling swooned from their significant other, or even unsure of their feelings within their relationship. The lyrics can show the listener a window into how true love is demonstrated, like a best friend, and the huge decision to raise a baby.

“Soy tu presente y tu futuro (Y tú eres mío) / Y todos hablan, pero nadie sabe (Nada, nada) / A estas calles no voy a regresar pa’ nada / Tengo alguien que me ama,” Uchis sang.

Serving as her second Spanish album and fourth in total, “Orquídeas” by Kali Uchis includes valuable lessons about getting over an ex and moving on to someone better in the future. She sings Reggaetón-adjacent songs, pop, and Latin-inspired music. Listeners can relate to this album about exploring sexuality, raising a child, coping and moving on from past breakups and being patient waiting for a true love to come.