REVIEW: Declan McKenna implores the message of self identity in his new album ‘What Happened to the Beach?’

Courtesy of Google Images
In Declan McKenna’s new album, “What Happened to the Beach,” McKenna teaches listeners about self identity and finding oneself.

British indie-pop artist, Declan McKenna, released his third studio album “What Happened to the Beach?” consisting of 12 tracks on Feb. 9, 2024. Popular from his hit single “Brazil” in 2015, McKenna has been known for his glam-rock feel. With musical inspiration from David Bowie and St.Vincent, McKenna released his new album following his two previous albums, “Zeros” and “What Do You Think About the Car?”

In his first track “WOBBLE,” McKenna introduces motifs of change that run throughout his album. Through his use of carefree and happy guitar chords, McKenna discusses more serious topics such as societal changes and uncertainty through them.

“We wobble to the beach / ‘Cause life’s really changing / ‘Cause life’s really changed me / I used to cry at home all night / Now I might in the sunshine,” McKenna sings.

Here, the word “wobble” can be seen as a metaphor for feeling unsure of one’s purpose in life. Even though life is changing for McKenna, he has a chance to be happy. Mckenna tells his audience to step into the sunlight and let go, which is a perfect kickstart to this album.

In his leading single and fourth track “Sympathy,” McKenna draws from an upbeat ‘60s feel and sends the message of not dwelling in the past. He uses this song as a hopeful tune to finding peace and understanding with those around him.

“You don’t need to be clever / If you don’t speak your thoughts aloud / You just feel them forever / Sympathy is gonna come around / So make peace and discover,” McKenna sings.

With the optimistic beat and use of horns and flutes throughout “Sympathy,” one can be reminded of “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” by the Beatles. McKenna spreads the idealistic view of expressing oneself in this summery song.

His single and seventh track “Nothing Works” has an energizing and psychedelic sound accompanied with heavy lyrics. McKenna was praised by audiences for his lyrics in his hit song “Brazil” from his prior album “What Do You Think About the Car?” “Brazil” is a protest song criticizing FIFA and their decision for awarding the World Cup to Brazil, without addressing the many problems Brazil was facing in 2015.

After “Brazil,” McKenna was named the voice of a generation by many because of his socially relevant lyrics. “Nothing Works” is a call back to his popularity and where he is today.

“You tell me I don’t relate to the kids no more / Now I feel like I’m letting them down / Not like I’m up and coming anymore / So what if they hear me on my bathroom floor? / I’m sure they’re big enough now,” McKenna sings.

These lyrics are calling back to McKenna’s multitude of fans in 2015. Since his hit single was almost nine years ago, his fans have grown up with him and are not phased by the emotions he can now show in his music. It is implied that McKenna’s popularity has decreased since “Brazil,” but he still loves making music and will continue to do so.

“When I sing the song and you didn’t like the verse / I try to fix myself but nothing works / I feel wrong, I feel rehearsed / I try to fix myself but nothing works,” McKenna sings.

The overall message of this song is to break out of people’s expectations. McKenna realized in his life that trying to please everyone is not possible. The discordant ending of “Nothing works” can represent his internal struggle of listening to others, or listening to his gut.

Through a euphoric and one-of-a-kind sound, McKenna’s carefree and emotionally-revealing album “What Happened to the Beach?” preaches the power of self-identity.