REVIEW: Faye Webster experiments with various sounds in her new album ‘Underdressed at the Symphony’

Courtesy of Google Images
Webster’s new album “Underdressed at the Symphony” allows the audience to understand the inner workings of her mind and how it connects to love and heartbreak.

On March 1, 2024, indie-rock artist Faye Webster released her new album “Underdressed at the Symphony.” Webster’s fifth studio album consisting of 10 tracks explores her mind’s inner workings. With an interesting mix of sounds, including indie, country and R&B all drawing from her home city of Atlanta, she introduces audiences to her lowkey album.

The single and second track entitled “But Not Kiss” brings listeners into Webster’s mind. She contradicts certain lyrics to express how she feels about commitment. Her use of abrupt lyrics and guitar shows her indecisive emotions about a significant other.

“I want to sleep in your arms, but not kiss / I want to see you in my dreams, but then forget / We’re meant to be, but not yet / I hope you’re okay, but I won’t ask,” Webster sings.

“Lego Ring” is Webster’s second single and first collaboration with friend Lil Yachthy. The song introduces listeners to a foreign sound in Webster’s discography: autotune. The use of warped autotune sounds out of place to some listeners, while others appreciate the playful vocals that match the quirky personality of the album.

“I want a Lego ring (hey) / It’s a mood ring / It’ll pick for me / Me and you the dream team / Always together like string beans / Your left hand up in every pic / ‘Cause your Lego ring is sick,” Webster and Yatchy sing.

The unserious lyrics from “Lego Ring” represent how Webster is not ready for the pressure of commitment and would rather have something child-like and casual. The track lets listeners take a step back and enjoy Webster and Yachty’s experimental song.

Webster’s seventh track, “He Loves Me Yeah!” shows the excitement she feels about reciprocated love. She is realizing a relationship is about give and take, bringing a sense of relatability to the song.

“He say he miss me thеn I say it back / He owes me money but I let it pass / He pumps my gas so that I don’t get out / My baby loves me, yeah, he loves me, yeah / I think we’re perfect, yeah, we’re perfect, yeah,” Webster sings.
In her title track “Underdressed at the Symphony,” listeners enter Webster’s complicated mind, where reveals she has a tendency to self-sabotage relationships.

“I’m depriving myself of happiness / Something I’m really good at / I know you haven’t told your mother yet / ‘Cause she invited me over again / I’m underdressed at the symphony / Crying to songs that you put me on / Are you doing all the same things? / I doubt it,” Webster sings.

A melancholy orchestra interrupts Webster in the middle of the song, reminding audiences of the symphony. The mix of the orchestra, dreamy vocals and an inviting indie sound is comforting to listeners.

Webster has found herself impulsively going to the symphony whenever she wants, in whatever she is wearing, hence “Underdressed at the Symphony.” Webster revels in the anonymity she is offered at the symphony, using the melodic sounds as her personal therapy.

The use of repetitive lyrics throughout her songs represent how Webster always seems to be in her head, overthinking situations. Being her quirky self in her new album “Underdressed at the Symphony,” Webster shares her experience with love, heartbreak and how it feels to be alone in her thoughts.