SCHS welcomes Monaco Middle School’s mariachi musicians to perform

Ellen Vu
Monaco Middle School’s mariachi band performs a lively concert at SCHS on Wednesday, Apr 3rd, during tutorial.

During tutorial on Wednesday, April 3, a mariachi band performed at SCHS’ theater. The crowd varied with SCHS students and students from Bowers, Central Park and Pomeroy elementary schools.

Vice Principal Sharon Freeman welcomed the music program and expressed gratitude for their performances. All of the musicians are seventh and eighth grade students from Monaco Middle School, traveling all the way from Las Vegas. The mariachi band, Los Gavilanes, had been on tour recently with 17 performances in total, SCHS being their seventh stop. They came out wearing matching red charro outfits shortly after Freeman finished her introduction.

All of the performers raised their sombreros up before one let out the sound of a grito, which is a mariachi cry. There were four groups of musicians: violinist, guitarists, trumpeters and a harpist. A young singer went up front of the stage, taking the lead, before another performer with a deeper voice joined in.

Los Gavilanes played upbeat and fast-paced songs, getting the crowd hyped for the rest of the performance. Eighth grade violinist and section leader Jazmin Romero Salazar led the start of the second performance with a “1, 2, 3” count. The trumpeters were the main focus, taking the lead as two trumpeters stepped out from the rest of the band.

After finishing their solo, the trumpeters returned to their original spots and one of them, a young boy, began to sing again. Two other boys joined him singing in unison together. The three had different pitched voices, but the varying tones balanced one another out. They ended the song together, passionately and in sync.

Romero Salazar led the next part with the same “1, 2, 3” count. This song, however, was slower and emotional compared to the previous ones. Two boys and two girls were the lead singers, who began after the band finished harmonizing together. When the girls did not sing, they played the backing violins. Their voices paired together well and ended strong on a high note before raising their hands in the air.

The mariachi director, Daniel Valdez, marked the halfway point of the performance by introducing the musicians by their names and explaining the time and effort the band has put into their performances. He mentioned that they practice during lunch and two hours after school daily.

“I am most proud of their willingness and determination towards musical excellence,” Valdez said. “They inspire me to try to be a better teacher.”

Los Gavilanes continued their performances with the harpist solo. Violins played in the background before three people began singing. The band sang another lively song in unison. They played a couple more songs with different singers taking turns, with a group of two boys and two girls ending the performances. The audience cheered as the band bowed.

Santa Clara County arts coordinator, Sofia Fojas, took the stage and explained Los Gavilanes were invited to perform in the area because April is arts, culture and creativity month. Fojas worked with schools and local areas to experience the mariachi performances. Valdez wrapped up the performance by thanking the directors and teachers involved with making the tour possible. Audience members were able to ask questions before the band left the stage.

Los Gavilanes’ performance gave students a chance to connect with different cultures and engage in the arts. The young mariachi musicians put on a great concert, showing the audience the importance of cultural arts.