OPINION: Is artifice an essential skill?

Kai Vader
Artifice is prominent in social media, leading to unrealistic expectations and poor mental health among many youths.

Artifice is defined as the art of contriving or deceiving in order to reach a desired end. The media plays an impactful role, especially with the concept of artifice creating a false sense of reality for users. With artifice being common, it is not an essential skill that people need to attain in order to succeed and live.

Attaining the skill of artifice does not lead to greater fame, rather it shuts down the opportunities of authenticity and long-term sustenance. From personal relations to public endeavors, only the ones with true skill will be able to succeed throughout life.

In today’s world of faux media, the idea of authenticity is highly valuable. Content creators and influencers displaying their true self is often unseen since individuals are wanting to portray themselves in the best way possible. With the constant social pressure and facade of the media, disingenuous individuals are not able to resonate and participate in actions that are beneficial for themselves or their audience. The appeal of artifice conceals genuine authenticity, leaving individuals with the longing for real connection in the midst of facades.

Young individuals are constantly faced with photos and content that seem to be “perfect.” Penn Medicine News reported that younger media-consumers are forced to have unrealistic expectations, which increases risk of poor mental and physical health. Artifice often pushes people to conform to social norms and forces them to fit into the expected role, leading to higher anxiety, stress and other physical symptoms. Thus, people are not able to reach their full potential nor express their true individuality.

The phrase “fake it till you make it” is used to depict how one imitates the skills or confidence in order to succeed in their goal. In an article from Science of People, a distinction is made between using this phrase to learn new behaviors and lying about one’s identity or skill. There are limited ways of using this mindset, but overall, it provides short-term gains. Without attaining true skill or authenticity, the sustainability will eventually diminish.

Keeping the mindset of “fake it till you make it” most likely will bring about one’s downfall. Therefore, investing in a foundation of authenticity leads to success. By portraying oneself as unrealistic or fake will not lead to a favorable outcome, especially in the long run. Specifically, for entertainment industries, having the mindset of artifice would not create better quality content. Rather than artifice, being able to have empathy and genuineness is more of an essential skill that is needed throughout society.