Seniors lack class spirit as the year comes to an end

Despite+low+participation+in+the+yearbook%2C+some+seniors+value+school+events+like+BOTC+for+the+class+to+come+together.+
Joshua Cedro
Despite low participation in the yearbook, some seniors value school events like BOTC for the class to come together.

Through rallies, dress-up days, homecoming and Battle of the Classes, seniors have the opportunity to embrace the epitome of high school: class spirit. Although these events produce fun memories, most will turn toward the yearbook to relive the experiences from high school.

A big part of senior year is participation in the yearbook. From senior quotes and superlatives to baby photos and portraits, students are able to interact with the yearbook in many ways. According to yearbook editor, senior Pablo Samano, the lack of submissions for quotes and superlatives has led to alternative formatting this year.

“The yearbook is going to look different, and that’s obviously unfortunate,” Samano said. “With superlatives and quotes, they’re gonna be disappointed with the lack of options that they have. We gave you the option. You didn’t take it.”

For the class of 2024, their freshman year was online. Unable to have a true freshman year experience, many including yearbook Editor-in-Chief, junior Danna Cruz, attribute the lack of spirit to distance learning.

“I feel like that has some sort of impact on the issue itself because seniors did not and will not have a traditional high school experience as compared to sophomores, juniors (and) freshmen,” Cruz said. “They all have vast amounts of more class spirit. They’re more excited for things.”

As a part of the yearbook, editor senior Chloe Nguyen encourages seniors to participate in all events, programs and activities that interest them.

“Why don’t you end your school year, your school life, with a kick, with a bang? You know what I mean?” Nguyen said. “There’s no harm in trying something that would make you socialize with other people, or just anything event wise.”

With the year coming to an end, many seniors reflect on their past four years in high school. Vice president of senior council, Aliana Ferreira, has enjoyed the memories she has made and hopes to end the year strong.

“I’m obviously going to prom and grad night and just experience everything with my friend group. Just finish off the year happy,” Ferreira said.

As a part of council, Ferreira hopes that her classmates will find some motivation to make the most out of their last moments as a senior.

“Just to get out and do everything because it’s senior year,” Ferreira said. “We’re going to be adults soon, so enjoy as much as you can.”