OPINION: Being a content creator on social media is not sustainable

Rebecca LaBarge
Despite the appeal of becoming a content creator on social media, it is hard to maintain as a career.

As social media continues to grow, the amount of people who want to pursue a career as a content creator has increased. Becoming a content creator on social media platforms is easier than ever before. Staying consistent in terms of content and a career, however, is difficult.

According to an article by Indeed, content creators are people who educate, inform or entertain their audience with the content they create and share. They produce relevant, high-quality content monthly, weekly and even daily. Most of them are in a certain niche, such as cooking and fashion. An article on Later reports that content creators use social media as a platform to build their personal brand and connect with their followers through methods such as posts and livestreams, where they can grow their community, land partnerships with companies and earn revenue.

Not every content creator, however, gets the chance to be sponsored by companies, and opportunities do not come as often as people realize. There are many components to becoming a serious creator on social media, such as networking with other creators. Those striving to make it as content creators often do not understand the various components, so they never properly grow their brand, making it difficult to become and stay a content creator.

People need to understand the various facets of social media before becoming full-time creators. An article by Manychat says a big element of getting started is picking a focus area. People should choose skills they are knowledgeable in to label themselves experts. The aforementioned article from Later says to be creative and innovative. The content people make must have value and stand out to its consumers. Thus, finding a content niche is essential.

Content creators must also find their “why.” Why they want to create, who they want to share it with and what they want to accomplish. Most importantly, they should have fun with finding a focus area, discovering creativity, building a community and producing their content. It sounds like a great career path, but there is more to it. For example, creators may be able to find their niche, but there will be people with the same interests, making it hard for content to both stand out and be original.

While it is easy to start being a content creator, it is difficult to become a consistent, successful one. Those who want to become successful content creators must realize that it will become their full-time job. An article by Forbes says that most content creators have teams behind them to help with ideas, scriptwriting, editing and graphic design. There is a big time commitment, especially for those who run their accounts by themselves. Many also expect results to happen overnight, as someone can go viral with one video and become famous. But people will not pay attention to the countless videos that came before it.

Those who go viral eventually will fall out of favor with social media, so building a loyal community is the best way to sustain success as a content creator, and this process can take years to accomplish. Another component the article mentioned is the skill behind content creation. A content creator needs to have basic knowledge of photography, videography, editing, management and more. On paper, becoming a content creator seems like an easy career, but pull the curtain, and many will realize all the major pieces that come with content creation.

Becoming a content creator is one of the most sought-after professions. To people, it looks like a quick and easy way to make money. In part due to the fact that it is one of the most sought-after jobs, many will pursue content creation under the same niche, making it difficult to become original, which is what makes a content creator successful.

If a content creator cannot stand out, they will look like any average creator. It will take more than one video to go viral to make a creator successful. Even if they do, the success will not be sustainable. Becoming a content creator will only work if a person is dedicated and willing to put in the work. It is okay to go all in as a creator, as long as the person is in it for the long haul.