Dedicated sophomore leads varsity baseball team

Pako throws the ball to a teammate between innings

Ever since Pako Vehikite was 11 years old, he’s dreamt of playing for Major League Baseball and hearing the crowd chant his name after hitting a homerun.

Years later, Vehikite, a sophomore, is still chasing that dream while honing his skills on SCHS’s varsity baseball team.

This season, Vehikite has led the team in both hits, with 20, and stolen bases, of which he has 15. Vehikite, playing centerfield, has also been able to earn a .328 batting average, compared to the team average of .267, and has been made the leadoff hitter in each game.

Though most children who play baseball begin to play at a very young age, Vehikite had a late start.

Pako bats during a game
Pako bats during a game

Vehikite began playing baseball for the local Westside Little League at the age of 11 after years of trying to convince his family, who didn’t want him    getting injured. He went on to play three years of recreational baseball, learning how to play all outfield positions and even pitcher.

Last year, Vehikite was a member of the JV team as a freshman.

This season, Vehikite was able to earn a spot as the only sophomore on the varsity team due to his energy and talent as such a young player.

His dedication to the game, such as going to batting cages on the weekends, has caught the attention of many.

“He keeps the team loose and full of energy. Pako’s just a fun loving guy with a big smile, that comes out and plays the game hard, 110 percent of the  time,” said assistant coach Matt Huth.

As well as his love for the game, his family is a main reason why Vehikite keeps playing and pursuing his dreams.

“I’d really love to make it to the big leagues to be able to make my family proud,” Vehikite said. “Especially my dad, he’s always been my number one fan.”

Vehikite also wants to represent his roots by making it to the major league to become the “first great Tongan player.”

As for the next two years of his high school baseball career, Vehikite is excited.

“I can’t wait until I get to play baseball with these boys again. It’s like a brotherhood,” Vehikite said.

Others, such as coach Chad Purcell, see a bright future in baseball for the sophomore at SCHS, where he will become a leader.

“Pako’s been good since the beginning of the season and he’s a strong athlete and keeps on improving,” Purcell said. “He’s going to continue to improve and by the time he’s a senior he’s going to be a freak.”