UGGs – are they worth the “UGG-ly” price?

Olivia Brady

Senior Hannah Fields shows off her brown UGGs.

Everyone and their mothers have heard about UGGs. In a true inverse of summer, when the flowers wilt, the furry and ‘ugg-ly’ boots sprout up. SCHS students who adore the boots, which cost upwards of $100, say they’re warm and comfortable. Those who aren’t fans claim they’re costly and unattractive.

“They’re ugly and overpriced,” senior Jasmine Nguyen said.

Parodic Urban Dictionary defines the shoe as “fugly winter boots that trendy girls wear because they are simply BRAINWASHED,” yet many students at SCHS continue to wear the shoe.

Freshman Daisha Thomas said UGGs have also been associated with the “white girl stereotype” that she doesn’t want to be a part of. She said she didn’t want to wear the shoe and risk being called “white washed” or criticized for trying to act like a “white girl.”

While maligned in some quarters, many students are still finding pros to the famous shoe.

“A lot of people wear them because they are comfortable,” observed senior Claire Stone, adding that she herself doesn’t care for them..

The comfort Stone refers to is due to UGG’s grade-A sheepskin, which is known for its comfort and durability. The style of the boots originates in Australia – hence the company name UGG Australia – but the company was first founded in Southern California by a man named Brian Smith. Since the sheepskin boots’ first appearance in the market in 1978, they have risen in popularity and fame, grabbing the attention of SCHS students as well.

Perhaps the “comfort” of UGGs is the real hook to the shoe’s popularity, as junior Prabhjot Gill describes them to be “super comfortable and super cute”.

Yet, as Stone brings up, UGGs are too expensive for the average person.

UGGs can be anywhere from $50 to $200 depending on the style and the store’s location, which may not fit everyone’s budget.

To mimic the trend, many students like Gill have purchased knockoff versions of UGGs from brands like Bearpaws, which are about $40 – about half the price of UGGs.

Whatever critics say, Sophomore Raveen Pabla is unmoved.

“Hate on UGGs all you want, they’re a stylish, comfortable shoe,” she said.