It’s not too late to change next year’s classes — take a second look at the curriculum changes

As the next school year of 2016-17 approaches, new classes are being added to the SCHS curriculum. Along with the additions, changes have also been made to the existing curriculum.

Students now have new electives such as Construction 2 or Cybersecurity and Connectivity for next year.

Construction 2, which requires a previous background of Construction 1, focuses on advanced woodshop skills and products, according to the SCUSD course catalogue.

Cybersecurity and Connectivity is a technology class that explores the concepts of online safety and why it is important.

There are also a few new advanced-placement classes that upperclassmen can choose to take in their next school  year, such as AP Psychology and AP Computer Science Principles.

AP Psychology is a higher level of the current Psychology class. The class goes more in depth with the study of human behavior and psychologists’ studies, according to the SCUSD course catalogue.

“AP Psychology seems really cool. I think it’d be interesting to learn more about how the human brain works and why it causes people to do what they do,” junior Alisha Mehta said.

AP Computer Science Principles is a class that will allow students to explore computer science in real-world application. However, before taking this class, you must have passed another technology class, such as Exploring Computer Science, or have an instructor’s consent.

“My whole family has jobs relating to computer science, and since we live in Silicon Valley, where computers have a pretty major influence, I thought I’d take the class and see if it would be something I’d want to major in,“ junior Marrisa Auby said.

Many changes have been made to existing classes as well.

Classes like Video Game Design, Digital Media 1S and Digital Media 2S have been extended from a semester to a year long course, counselor Katy Weeks said.

Journalism and IT Essentials are now UC-approved, counting towards A-G requirements for electives, added vice principal of discipline, Tony Lam.

A class that is still tentative, however, is American Sign Language. The class itself has been approved, but there is no confirmation of a teacher for the class. Students wanting to pick ASL as a class next year have been advised to pick a back up class just in case.  

“ASL is already approved by the district and ready to go. All we need is a teacher to teach it,” Weeks said.

Students interested in one of the new course offerings should make an appointment with their counselors to sign up.