Despite losing to the Falcons, Homecoming spirit persisted on throughout Friday night

Johann Cohn

The Bruins went against the Saratoga Falcons.

The victors of homecoming had been revealed: Ariana Garcia and Luther Haynes were crowned this year’s Homecoming queen and king, the freshmen won the skit contest and the sophomores won the float contest.

Only the winner of the football game was yet to be determined, and SCHS was taking on the Saratoga High School Falcons.

Once everyone in glamorous gowns and tuxedos cleared off the field, the game began–and with a dismal first quarter for the Bruins, ending 0-14.

Going into the second quarter, a field goal from Saratoga bumped the score up to 0-17. However, senior wide receiver Pako Vehikite put Santa Clara on the scoreboard with a touchdown, and sophomore Nick Garcia earned the extra point.

By halftime, Saratoga had scored two more touchdowns, making it 7-30.

Despite the gloomy weather and current score, the spirit of Homecoming persisted. Alumni cheerleaders joined the current squad in rallying the crowd, and other alumni could be seen reuniting with old friends in the stands.

The spirit squad performed a peppy routine incorporating stunting and gymnastics, followed by the dance team who did a sassy and upbeat number. The marching band, joined by color guard, capped off the halftime entertainment.

To start the second half, quarterback junior Chris Brown threw a touchdown to sophomore wide receiver Richard Corona, although Saratoga quickly countered with a defensive touchdown after a turnover. The Bruins’ defense allowed Saratoga to score two more touchdowns.

Aside from a rushing touchdown scored by junior Robert Green, the SCHS offense stayed stagnant, making the final score of the game 20-51.

Despite the tough loss, dedicated Bruins remained positive throughout the night. After cheering in her last Homecoming game, spirit squad member senior Laken Barber was feeling content. “It’s crazy that was my class’s last Homecoming, but I can’t wait for the next chapter in our lives.”