Student&Teacher Voices: 2016’s elections

christopher-moon-10th-min“[I support Donald Trump] because he’ll put the American people first, and he is not owned by special interests, foreign interests or Wall Street, like Hillary Clinton is. His policies on trade are in the interest of the American people, and it will benefit the American people,” sophomore Christopher Moon said.

mcgilvery

“I can’t believe that outright lying and making up facts is okay with so many people in our country. [Trump] lied 70% of the time in his debates and rallies. People believe that the President won’t affect their lives, but it will, and the sooner everyone realizes this the better. The youth needs to get out there and voice their opinions by voting,” athletics director and head boys’ basketball coach Tony McGilvery said.

hank-roberts-min-2

“People that had been upset for the past eight years, who thought that their voices had not been heard, came out and voted. People who supported Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama didn’t come and vote because they thought Clinton was going to win anyways. If anyone can do anything, it is the youth. The youth needs to voice their opinion and take elections seriously,” head football coach Hank Roberts said.

olivia-valente-11th-min“I’m a Christian and did not agree with Hillary Clinton. I was scared to voice my opinion in front of everyone because of the negativity that was being shown towards Trump supporters,” junior Olivia Valente said.

richard-ravenscraft-12-min“Hillary is a good candidate but she was just running for Presidency at the wrong time. There were many students and even adults who did not identify themselves as Trump supporters because a fear of being outcasted had spread around,” senior Richard Ravenscraft said.

aniket-mishra-10-min

“Because Trump has won the elections, the stock market will definitely reach its heights and businesses will be booming,” sophomore Aniket Mishra said.

megan-sequeira-12-min

“There was a lot of peer pressure to vote for Clinton. Even if students did not want to vote or did not support Clinton, they claimed to do so because they were in fear of getting judged and negatively looked at by peers,” senior Megan Sequeira said.

“I don’t think either candidate was qualified enougsylvia-ow-yang-12-minh, so I didn’t support either,” senior Sylvia Ow Yang said.

hooria-ahmed-10-min“Even though everyone knows that both candidates were not qualified to be Commander in Chief, Hillary held more characteristics for becoming the next president. Donald Trump did not qualify at all because he had no political background and was also being offensive to Mexicans, Muslims, African-Americans and women,” sophomore Hooria Ahmed said.

jesse-rhee-12-min-1

“I’m surprised that Trump won. I thought that Hillary should have won because she has better morales, considering that it was either her or Trump. The person who should have won this election is Bernie Sanders,” senior Jesse Rhee said.

All photos by Navdeep Kaur