SCHS reacts to death of student Deepak Kundu

Last weekend, SCHS sophomore Deepak Kundu died in a fatal car crash on Central Expressway in Sunnyvale.

The school was informed through an email sent out by Principal Gregory Shelby on Tuesday.

“I have some very difficult news to share with you,” Shelby wrote. “SCHS is saddened by the loss of our student and friend.”

After living in Jind, India for most his life, Kundu moved to America three years ago.

Since moving here, Kundu had made many relationships with his classmates and teachers, including Biology and Chemistry teacher Risha Shah.

“I’m heartbroken. Having to go through such a tragedy of losing a student I’m really close to in my first year of teaching is hard,” Shah said.

Kundu and Shah would bond over their Indian culture and their favorite Punjabi songs and movies.

Junior Josue Dominguez was shocked to hear that his old middle school friend had passed away.

“It’s scary that he was okay the day before, talking to his parents, talking to his friends, and in an instant he died,” Dominguez said.

Sophomore Rishi Batta, one of Kundu’s closest friends, was informed about the accident by a mutual friend. According to Batta, Kundu was shy but funny and talkative once he got friendly with a person.

“When I walked into my Biology class, Deepak was the first person to talk to me,” Batta said. “He was more than just a friend; he was a brother.”

Kundu’s funeral was held on Thursday at 1:00 p.m. in Hayward. He will be missed by his family and friends as he has made a strong impact on their lives.

I miss him. It’s going to be weird not seeing him sitting in front of me everyday,” Shah said. “May his soul rest in peace.”

Students who need counseling can contact Michelle Sandoval the Wellness Coordinator at  408-423-2614, Daisy Hernandez Leyva the School Psychologist at 408-423-2649 or any of the guidance counselors.