REVIEW: “Too Good at Goodbyes” is too good to overlook

Sam Smith's returns with a heartbreaking single.

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

Almost two years after his last solo release, the stirring and dramatic “Writing’s on the Wall,” Sam Smith is blessing our ears with a new teaser single “Too Good at Goodbyes” off of his forthcoming sophomore album of the same name. And it doesn’t disappoint.

Smith, whose songs are known for their sincerity and candor, sings about his familiarity with getting dumped in his relationships. “Every time you hurt me, the less that I cry/And every time you leave me, the quicker these tears dry/And every time you walk out, the less I love you/Baby, we don’t stand a chance, it’s sad but it’s true,” Smith croons.

Though simple and repetitive like almost every pop song, the thing that always has and always will make Smith the haunting musician that he is is his voice. In an interview with The Fader back in 2014 when he released his first album, “In the Lonely Hour,” Smith declared that he wanted his voice to be the most outstanding instrument on any track he did.

That’s exactly what he’s stuck to. Even with gospel choir voices that boom underneath Smith’s impressive key changes, his voice is the most striking part of the whole track.

After proving that he has only gotten stronger since 2015, fans should brace themselves for the rest of the album to drop.