SCUSD to be paying for students’ SAT test

SCUSD will be paying for the cost of the Scholastic Aptitude Test, a standardized test commonly required by many universities, for all first-time takers.

“It’s a priority for the district to have these exams,” Vice Principal Tony Lam said. “There are students who are capable, but may not be able to afford it.”

The SAT to be paid for is set to take place on campus in March of 2018, and is open to all SCHS students. Juniors are especially encouraged to take the exam to have it count for their college applications. However, non-first-time test takers will have to pay the standard amount for the test, which is approximately $45 without the written exam portion.

Like the Practice SAT, the school day will be modified to fit in the SAT test, which is planned to take place in the morning.

This is the second year SCUSD has decided to pay for the exams. Last year, the test was in June and about 90 students signed up for the exam, according to Lam. Students had to fill out a paper registration form, but this year, the registration will take place on the school website.

Registration for the SAT has not yet been set up or opened, but is expected to begin sometime in February. As of now, the school is focusing on the PSAT tomorrow, and will be paying for the sophomores who choose to take that test.