North Bay fires leaves Santa Clara’s air quality poor and polluted

The North Bay fires have not only affected Napa and the surrounding areas, but it has affected Santa Clara with the spreading smoke and pollution. Many students at SCHS are concerned about the poor air quality.

A week ago, a fire started in Santa Rosa. Though the cause is still undetermined, it has so far left 44 dead and 20,000 forced to evacuate.

“It’s harder to concentrate in class because the smell is making me very dizzy,” freshman Batool Mohammad said. “But even though I can’t stand the smell, my heart breaks for the people [in the North Bay], it must be awful.”

Many people agree with Mohammad, including sophomore Noah Stein.

“I feel so bad for the people that lost their houses or families,” said sophomore Noah Stein, who has a cousin in Napa.

Because of the poor air quality, games have been canceled for the safety of athletes.

“I was mad because I was excited for my club teams game, however I do feel worse for the people in Napa right now because I cannot even imagine what they’re going through right now,” said Stein.

Some schools such as Bellarmine and Valley Christian High School have canceled classes because of the air quality.

According to school nurse Karen Keating, two people so far have had to be sent home due to the conditions.

“One of the students could barely breathe,” Keating said. She warns everyone to stay indoors.

Sophomore Kael Martinez stated that because of his asthma, he was having difficulty breathing.  

“I hope it gets better soon for the people in Napa though,” he said.