SCHS junior is Miss Santa Clara’s Outstanding Teen

The Miss America organization held their annual Miss Santa Clara and Miss Santa Clara’s Outstanding Teen competition on Jan. 13. Eleven teens competed for the crown and title.

The winner of the $1000 scholarship and the title of Miss Santa Clara’s Outstanding Teen was SCHS junior Natalie DeSousa.

“I’ve been with the organization for about ten years,” DeSousa said. “I started out watching the girls compete as princesses until I was able to start competing at thirteen years old.”

The Miss America Organization is an organization where girls can compete in pageants to earn scholarship money.

DeSousa won the title on her tenth anniversary with the organization, with the last four years specifically on competing for the Miss Santa Clara’s Outstanding Teen.

“I had to work with an interview coach and my dance coach to make sure I was ready for all four phases of competition, which were physical fitness, interview, onstage question, and evening gown,” DeSousa said.

“I feel honored to be the next Miss Santa Clara’s Outstanding Teen and I can’t wait to work on my platform, Girls Empowerment,” DeSousa said.