REVIEW: “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” is a satisfying conclusion to the thriller trilogy

"Maze Runner: The Death Cure" is the third and final installment to "The Maze Runner" series.

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

The wait was finally over for fans of “The Maze Runner,” a dystopian thriller series, when the last movie of the trilogy was released last Friday. “Maze Runner: The Death Cure,” directed by Wes Ball, left audiences in awe.

“The Death Cure” along with its predecessors, “The Maze Runner” and “Maze Runner: Scorch Trials,” are all based on James Dashner’s book series “The Maze Runner.” The books are set in the dystopian future, where an organization called WCKD runs experiments on young teenagers  who are immune to The Flare, a worldwide infection, to find a cure.

The film features the main protagonist, Thomas, portrayed by Dylan O’Brien, and his friends as they plan to sneak into the Last City, humanity’s only functioning city left. There, they will search for the secrets of the WCKD organization.

“Maze Runner: The Death Cure” was an effectively suspenseful movie that kept audience members biting their nails throughout the film. With its sentimental moments and skilled actors, this action-packed film was also able to successfully deliver the original book’s well-crafted storyline.

While this film was a fun experience, it was not completely satisfactory due to some aspects of the film. The slightly disturbing appearance of Walton Goggins’s character was off-putting. Both he and his followers had seemed to be under-emphasized during the film, resulting in the movie’s screen time going to waste.

Though there were some elements that lowered the overall movie, it was generally an entertaining film. “The Death Cure” succeeded in presenting a compelling storyline to its audiences while incorporating talented actors and breathtaking scenery.

“Maze Runner: The Death Cure” is definitely a must-watch for both long-term fans and new audiences.